q4rc4 very slow. VMs take 23 - 33 seconds to start

pixel fairy

Feb 14, 2018, 5:47:19 PM2/14/18
to qubes-users
[user@dom0 ~]$ time qvm-start personal

real 0m23.517s
user 0m0.182s
sys 0m0.065s
[user@dom0 ~]$ time qvm-start alpha

real 0m23.801s
user 0m0.191s
sys 0m0.056s
[user@dom0 ~]$ time qvm-start alphax

real 0m32.831s
user 0m0.193s
sys 0m0.059s

starting with debug turned on takes 46 seconds. it shows a console window with

SeaBIOS
Machine UUID
Booting from ROM...
Probing EDD...

15 seconds for the console window to come up, with the first 3 lines
8 seconds later for Probing EDD to come up
23 seconds after that for the VM to start and the console window to go blank.

Chris Laprise

Feb 14, 2018, 7:12:40 PM2/14/18
to pixel fairy, qubes-users
Is this Debian or Fedora? If the latter, can you try Fedora?

--

Chris Laprise, tas...@posteo.net
https://github.com/tasket

pixel fairy

Feb 14, 2018, 7:58:06 PM2/14/18
to qubes-users
Fedora. just tried debian. 44.286s seconds.

pixel fairy

Feb 14, 2018, 8:00:41 PM2/14/18
to qubes-users
On Wednesday, February 14, 2018 at 4:58:06 PM UTC-8, pixel fairy wrote:
> Fedora. just tried debian. 44.286s seconds.

Forgot the hardware.

i7-6700, 64gigs ddr4, supermicro c7z170-sq, onboard intel graphics.

Chris Laprise

Feb 14, 2018, 8:27:21 PM2/14/18
to pixel fairy, qubes-users
What virt_mode is used? Default is pvh; Try switching the mode to hvm
(and this let you use debug mode). Then there are logs in dom0
/var/log/qubes for each VM.

On the VM side you can try 'systemd-analyze blame' for start timings,
also 'journalctl' and 'dmesg'.

pixel fairy

Feb 14, 2018, 9:24:40 PM2/14/18
to qubes-users
pvh. the hvm ones took even longer. looked at a couple systemd-analyze, one of them had 10s for dkms and 40 for qubes-update-check, even though that one only took 25s to boot, at least according to dom0. could whatever tells dom0 a guest is up have run before that?

will play with this more and get back to you.

turns out the qvm-pref debug doesnt matter in boot time. its hvm that takes around 40 seconds, and pvh that takes around 25.

a standalone hvm with no os installed took 16 seconds to "start"

this started happening after installing 4.0rc4 over 4.0rc3. had to qvm-prefs the restored vms to pvh. at first i thought it was just the performance hit from mitigating speculation vulnerabilities, but others were reporting better performance in rc4 than rc3.

WillyPillow

Feb 14, 2018, 10:24:01 PM2/14/18
to pixel...@gmail.com, qubes...@googlegroups.com
I also noticed similar slowdowns. I have no experience with rc3 (upgraded directly from 3.2), but your numbers seem to councide with my experience. Hardware is also pretty similar, namely Z170/6700K.

--WillyPillow
----------
https://blog.nerde.pw/
PGP fingerprint = 6CCF 3FC7 32AC 9D83 D154  217F 1C16 C70E E7C3 1C8
----------

David Hobach

Feb 15, 2018, 2:44:00 AM2/15/18
to pixel fairy, qubes-users
Got 13s with pvh on a laptop last built in 2012 or so, i.e. your timings
are rather odd indeed...

awokd

Feb 16, 2018, 6:38:22 AM2/16/18
to pixel fairy, qubes-users
On Thu, February 15, 2018 2:24 am, pixel fairy wrote:

> at first i thought it was just the
> performance hit from mitigating speculation vulnerabilities, but others
> were reporting better performance in rc4 than rc3.

Maybe they are on AMD. :)

To rule out mitigations, I know Linux has an option to turn it off. Does
Xen have something similar? Try that and see if it restores your
performance.

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Feb 16, 2018, 7:07:10 PM2/16/18
to aw...@danwin1210.me, pixel fairy, qubes-users

pixel fairy

Feb 16, 2018, 9:30:44 PM2/16/18
to qubes-users
On Friday, February 16, 2018 at 4:07:10 PM UTC-8, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki wrote:

> Yes, there is "xpti=false" option for Xen command line (xen.gz option in
> grub, or options= line in xen.cfg for UEFI).

tried that by editing the multiboot /xen-4.8.3.gz line while booting. no change. maybe its a different change between rc3 and rc4. seems like a stretch, but one that only affects supermicro c7z motherboards?

awokd

Feb 16, 2018, 10:51:27 PM2/16/18
to pixel fairy, qubes-users
Try the Linux equivalent to disable mitigations in your template kernel
options too maybe?

WillyPillow

Feb 16, 2018, 11:26:54 PM2/16/18
to pixel...@gmail.com, qubes...@googlegroups.com