3.2-rc1, xfce4 volume control

Micah Lee

Jul 13, 2016, 5:50:14 PM7/13/16
to qubes-users
One thing I've noticed is that there's no volume control on my panel,
and my laptop's volume up and down keys don't work to adjust the volume.

I discovered that I can adjust the volume by manually running alsamixer
in dom0. I also discovered that I can install the xfce4-mixer package,
and then run xfce4-mixer, to get a GUI granular volume control. That
package also include a mixer panel applet, which requires a bit of
configuration to work properly.

I still haven't made my volume up and down keys work.

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Jul 13, 2016, 6:07:23 PM7/13/16
to Micah Lee, qubes-users

Micah Lee

Jul 13, 2016, 6:27:41 PM7/13/16
to Marek Marczykowski-Górecki, qubes-users
On 07/13/2016 03:07 PM, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki wrote:
> Wasn't that installed by default? It should be...

It wasn't for me. I installed xfce by installing the @xfce-desktop-qubes
package in dom0, rather than using the installer.

> Install xfce4-volumed. It will be installed by default in next release
> candidate.

Thanks!

raah...@gmail.com

Jul 13, 2016, 11:38:01 PM7/13/16
to qubes-users, marm...@invisiblethingslab.com, mi...@micahflee.com
did you figure out how to get your volume controls working. I had same issue and installed the audio mixer from panel preferences, but haven't got the kb volume buttons working yet.

sebast...@gmail.com

Sep 3, 2016, 1:07:01 PM9/3/16
to qubes-users, marm...@invisiblethingslab.com, mi...@micahflee.com, raah...@gmail.com
In 3.2-rc3 the volume buttons still don't work for me either. I had to set the master card to #1 rather than #0 but I don't know how to change this for xfce4-volumed.

sebast...@gmail.com

Sep 3, 2016, 6:21:23 PM9/3/16
to qubes-users, marm...@invisiblethingslab.com, mi...@micahflee.com, raah...@gmail.com, sebast...@gmail.com
I've found the issue,
if we go to System Tools -> Settings Editor -> xfce4-mixer
you need to set the property "active-card" to the value of the card you want to change volume for. This is independent of which card is active for alsa by default.

However the mute is still broken. When you press mute, it mutes both Master & Speaker, when it unmutes it only unmutes property "active-track" which is typically Master OR Speaker.

Michael Carbone

Sep 4, 2016, 11:51:19 AM9/4/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
sebast...@gmail.com:
> However the mute is still broken. When you press mute, it mutes both Master & Speaker, when it unmutes it only unmutes property "active-track" which is typically Master OR Speaker.

just want to highlight/confirm the muting issue, I created an issue for it:

Michael Carbone

Qubes OS | https://www.qubes-os.org
@QubesOS <https://www.twitter.com/QubesOS>

PGP fingerprint: D3D8 BEBF ECE8 91AC 46A7 30DE 63FC 4D26 84A7 33B4

signature.asc

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Sep 4, 2016, 12:28:27 PM9/4/16
to Michael Carbone, qubes...@googlegroups.com

Connor Page

Sep 7, 2016, 5:54:42 AM9/7/16
to qubes-users
volumed and mixer are not maintained by xfce team anymore [1]
since audio relies on pulseaudio it would make sense to use pulseaudio plugin and key bindings in dom0.

[1] http://www.xfce.org/about/news/?post=1425081600

Andrew David Wong

Sep 15, 2016, 5:03:03 AM9/15/16
to Connor Page, qubes-users