USB Scanner or Printer?

Loren Rogers

Nov 30, 2016, 7:02:19 PM11/30/16
to qubes-users

What's the recommended way to handle scanners and printers? It sounds like I'll need to go through a USB Qube, but I don't trust the closed-source drivers to run alongside my USB keyboard.

Will I need to assign a USB PCI device to a particular printer-scanner Qube and have the others go through dom0?

raah...@gmail.com

Nov 30, 2016, 10:47:43 PM11/30/16
to qubes-users, lo...@lorentrogers.com

most use network printer i believe cause easier to print to. Printer is never considered secure or printing private.

Franz

Dec 1, 2016, 6:25:50 AM12/1/16
to cooloutac, qubes-users, lo...@lorentrogers.com
If you do not have a network printer you cann buy a printer server for a few dollars.
best
Fran

Loren Rogers

Dec 1, 2016, 9:58:23 AM12/1/16
to Franz, cooloutac, qubes-users
Good point - I suppose it makes most sense to set up a print/scan server and just connect to it remotely.

However, assuming I had some other USB device that required closed-source drivers, would my only option be to connect it to the USB Qube or dedicate a PCI USB device to a separate Qube?

Franz

Dec 1, 2016, 11:29:26 AM12/1/16
to Loren Rogers, cooloutac, qubes-users
Both. The second one may be safer because there is some separation at the level of the usb controller. The first one uses the same USB controller for different VMs and the use for USB devices other than block-devices is somehow experimental.
Best
Fran

raah...@gmail.com

Dec 1, 2016, 8:55:22 PM12/1/16
to qubes-users, 169...@gmail.com, raah...@gmail.com, lo...@lorentrogers.com
> from it, send an email to qubes-users...@googlegroups.com.

> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/qubes-users/2cd15b8a-89ca-4480-a904-f1c8913b6505%40googlegroups.com.

> Good point - I suppose it makes most sense to set up a print/scan
> server and just connect to it remotely.
>

> However, assuming I had some other USB device that required
> closed-source drivers, would my only option be to connect it to the
> USB Qube or dedicate a PCI USB device to a separate Qube?

I use a raspberry pi