Qubes 4 on USB Not Rebooting

Campbell

Apr 20, 2018, 2:01:16 PM4/20/18
to qubes-users
I have a problem with a Qubes 4 installation on USB that will not boot after the initial setup. It will restart after initial install, BIOS sees the drive as USB Qubes, boots into the configuration loader and eventually into the OS. Once there I can do everything and it all works including my Windows HVM yesterday.

But what I thought was a fluke is turning into a real problem.
USB will not boot again if I choose to shut down in the Qubes OS.

I've now tried this with 2 different size and manufacturer USB drives with same results. The BIOS sees either drive as simply a USB drive (instead of showing "USB Qubes") and apparently does not see the boot loader any more.

Please help!

Campbell

Apr 20, 2018, 8:58:53 PM4/20/18
to qubes-users

I just now tried a Qubes 3.2 install and have the same problem. Once I restart after all configuration is done, it never boots again. Computer BIOS sees the disk but there is nothing to load, even though it rebooted successfully during the installation.

john

Apr 21, 2018, 3:05:05 AM4/21/18
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
so, 1st you tried to install Q4.0 from USB installation media to another
USB drive ? that failed, so then you tried to install Q3.2 from one
USB drive installtion media to another USB drive ? Is that right ?

and you've seen and followed this ?
--
Installing to a USB drive

Installing an operating system onto a USB drive can be a convenient and
secure method of ensuring that your data is protected. Be advised that a
minimum storage of 32 GB is required on the USB drive. This installation
process may take longer than an installation on a standard hard disk.
The installation process is identical to using a hard disk in
conjunction with two exceptions:

Select the USB as the storage location for the OS.

Leave the option checked to “Automatically configure my Qubes
installation to the disk(s) I selected and return me to the main menu”.

Campbell

Apr 21, 2018, 8:53:52 AM4/21/18
to qubes-users
There is no option in the install script to "Automatically configure my Qubes installation to the disk(s) I selected and return me to the main menu"
When I select my disk, there is an option checked for "Automatically partition disk" but nothing like what is written in the documentation.

myblackc...@gmail.com

Apr 23, 2018, 8:21:01 AM4/23/18
to qubes-users
Hey,

i have the same problems and Qubes 4.0 not want boot from the USB Device.

For this probleme i install Fedora on Virtualbox and copy the Image with the command "dd if=Qubes-R4.0-x86_64.iso of=/dev/sdb bs=1M && sync" successfully on my device.

The probleme by this the Stick boot and i can see some Linux commands. After this, the screen is only black and nothing happened.

This are my Bios settings:

https://picload.org/view/dorgorpl/img_2 ... 4.jpg.html

https://picload.org/view/dorgorpi/img_2 ... 9.jpg.html

Hope, that someone can help.

regards

Campbell

Apr 29, 2018, 10:19:09 AM4/29/18
to qubes-users

I finally found a resolution for this. There is a doc in Qubes that discusses how some firmware will not recognize the default Qubes EFI configuration. Here is what makes the computer boot the drive after installing qubes to a USB:

Rename the qubes EFI folder:
sudo mv /boot/efi/EFI/qubes/ /boot/efi/EFI/BOOT

Rename the two files:
sudo mv /boot/efi/EFI/BOOT/xen.efi /boot/efi/EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.efi
sudo mv /boot/efi/EFI/BOOT/xen.cfg /boot/efi/EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.cfg

Now when you restart the computer and choose the USB drive in the BIOS, it will boot the USB drive into Qubes.

FYI, there is a warning in the document that this may need to be done again after every kernel and Xen update. I sure hope Qubes developers fix this. If an update occurs and you restart before making these changes you won't be able to boot back up onto the USB again to make the changes! A reinstall is in you near future!