Qubes Windows 10?

Pawel Debski

Sep 17, 2016, 3:55:58 AM9/17/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com

Folks,

I have Qubes 3.2 up, updated & running like a charm. Now the Microsoft challenge. The doc @ https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/windows-appvms/ instructs to use Windows 7. Do you suggest to stick with version 7 or go ahead to 10 / 8?

--

Z powazaniem / Best Regards
Mit freundlichen Gruessen / Meilleures salutations

Andrew David Wong

Sep 17, 2016, 5:58:26 AM9/17/16
to Pawel Debski, qubes...@googlegroups.com

ludwig jaffe

Sep 18, 2016, 11:21:47 AM9/18/16
to qubes-users

Hi I run windows10 w/o windows tools and I replace cut and paste with an editor to generate a file and then I ssh to the other machines.
Also files I can tar.gz and ssh.

Here it is good to install cygwin on the windows10, and
also you want to install classic shell and remove cortana, the spy.
I did this and it works

Message has been deleted

Pawel Debski

Sep 20, 2016, 11:30:09 AM9/20/16
to qubes-users
Now I have Windows 7 up and running, but I have some minor stability problems - I used testing version of Qubes Windows Tools as there was no stable version avaiable.

Did I do something wrong or indeed there is no stable version of Qubes Windows Tools?

entr0py

Sep 20, 2016, 12:27:40 PM9/20/16
to Pawel Debski, qubes-users
Pawel Debski:
There is no version of qubes-windows-tools in the stable repo. The latest testing version is 3.2.1-3 and the prior testing release series was 3.0.4-1.

After much testing with Windows 7 on Qubes R3.1, I was unable to get QWT 3.2 working in a stable fashion. I don't want to lead you astray - this is very much YMMV. Everyone seems to have their own personalized experience with Windows on Qubes. I think part of the reason for this is that stability is also a function of which Windows updates are installed.

I downgraded to QWT 3.0 without PV disk drivers and now have a stable Win 7 running MS Office with full inter-VM operability.

(Some of the BSODs received while running QWT 3.2:
RDR_FILE_SYSTEM
DRIVER_POWER_FAILURE
QUOTA_UNDERFLOW
BAD_POOL_HEADER
MEMORY_MANAGEMENT
A device driver has pool.)

Pawel Debski

Sep 20, 2016, 1:06:06 PM9/20/16
to entr0py, qubes-users
I fully understand what you say and what I achieved is satisfying from
my point of view. However if I'm going to deploy a number of personal
productivity workstation in a banking environment the ordinary user will
kill my project when he looses his work because of minor unstability.

pixel fairy

Sep 20, 2016, 1:26:38 PM9/20/16
to qubes-users, 3n7r...@gmail.com
On Tuesday, September 20, 2016 at 10:06:06 AM UTC-7, Pawel Debski wrote:
> On 2016-09-20 18:27, entr0py wrote:
> > Pawel Debski:

could you use published apps from a windows server instead? https://github.com/FreeRDP/FreeRDP/wiki/RemoteApp

Andrew David Wong

Sep 21, 2016, 5:56:37 AM9/21/16
to Pawel Debski, qubes-users

raah...@gmail.com

Oct 11, 2016, 1:39:34 AM10/11/16
to qubes-users

how did you remove cortana?

Ph.T

Oct 11, 2016, 2:40:03 AM10/11/16
to raah...@gmail.com, qubes-users
On Mon, Oct 10, 2016 at 10:39 PM, <raah...@gmail.com> wrote:

how did you remove cortana?

Pete Howell

Aug 23, 2017, 3:45:55 PM8/23/17
to qubes-users
I tried to pull from the testing repository with the following:

> qubes-dom0-update --enablerepo=qubes-dom0-current-testing qubes-windows-tools

It lists version 3.2.2-3 as available, but downloaded failed -- "All mirrors were tried".

How can one get the test version?

Hugo Costa

Aug 24, 2017, 7:00:02 AM8/24/17
to qubes-users

That's weird, I used that command yesterday and it worked perfectly. Maybe try on a different network?

Andrew Morgan

Aug 26, 2017, 8:02:30 PM8/26/17
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
FYI qubes-windows-tools only works on Windows 7.

signature.asc