Thinkpad X230T trackpoint and trackpoint buttons did not work on fresh Qubes R4.0

Taha Ahmed

Apr 15, 2018, 9:25:24 AM4/15/18
to qubes-users
Just in case this might benefit someone else.

The installation of Qubes OS proceeded without any hiccups, and the Trackpoint along with its hardware buttons actually worked during the installation.

But when Qubes OS itself started, the Trackpoint and its hardware buttons did not respond. The mousepad still worked, although clicking required hard-pressing ("touch"-clicking on the mousepad did not work).

Playing around with the "Mouse and Touchpad" settings in System Tools had no effect.

I found a published work-around in a previous thread on this forum which has fixed the trackpoint and its hardware buttons. But "touch"-clicking on the mousepad is still an isue.
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/qubes-users/qmLogolyUdU/4D7vyINLBgAJ

Created the file /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/11-trackpoint.conf with these contents:

Section "InputClass"
Identifier "trackpoint catchall"
MatchIsPointer "true"
MatchProduct "TrackPoint|DualPoint Stick"
MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/event*"
Option "Emulate3Buttons" "true"
Option "EmulateWheel" "true"
Option "EmulateWheelButton" "2"
Option "XAxisMapping" "6 7"
Option "YAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

If anyone knows of a way to get the mousepad to also register touches, that would be great.

Taha Ahmed

Apr 15, 2018, 9:31:23 AM4/15/18
to qubes-users
On Sunday, April 15, 2018 at 3:25:24 PM UTC+2, Taha Ahmed wrote:
> Just in case this might benefit someone else.
>
> The installation of Qubes OS proceeded without any hiccups, and the Trackpoint along with its hardware buttons actually worked during the installation.
>
> But when Qubes OS itself started, the Trackpoint and its hardware buttons did not respond. The mousepad still worked, although clicking required hard-pressing ("touch"-clicking on the mousepad did not work).
>
> Playing around with the "Mouse and Touchpad" settings in System Tools had no effect.
STRIKE THAT. Tapping to click actually works out of the box.

> I found a published work-around in a previous thread on this forum which has fixed the trackpoint and its hardware buttons. But "touch"-clicking on the mousepad is still an isue.
> https://groups.google.com/d/msg/qubes-users/qmLogolyUdU/4D7vyINLBgAJ
>
> Created the file /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/11-trackpoint.conf with these contents:
>
> Section "InputClass"
> Identifier "trackpoint catchall"
> MatchIsPointer "true"
> MatchProduct "TrackPoint|DualPoint Stick"
> MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/event*"
> Option "Emulate3Buttons" "true"
> Option "EmulateWheel" "true"
> Option "EmulateWheelButton" "2"
> Option "XAxisMapping" "6 7"
> Option "YAxisMapping" "4 5"
> EndSection
>
> If anyone knows of a way to get the mousepad to also register touches, that would be great.

I was too fast to post. The mousepad "touch" to click operation works by simply enabling it in Settings (I must have missed the second tab).

Issue solved then.