Qubes OS 3.2 Installation Issues: anaconda 'text mode' Installation Destination autopart failed LUKS

pixel...@gmail.com

Nov 22, 2016, 7:16:40 PM11/22/16
to qubes-users
Device: Lenovo ThinkPad L450 modified with OCZ Trion 150 (480GB) SSD
Installation Setup: USB Drive with prepared ISO, using Basic Graphics mode under Troubleshooting due to system lockup in GUI mode.

Primary Problem: When trying to setup partitioning, and selecting either Standard or LVM, this error occurs: "storage configuration failed: autopart failed: Encryption requested for LUKS device sda2 but no encryption key specified for this device.

Could this have something to do with the fact that the original SSD had OPAL 2.0 and the replacement SSD does NOT have that feature? Am I unable to use the OCZ drive as a result, or is this something entirely different.

Background: I am a first time user of Qubes OS and have only marginal experience with installing any type of Linux disto. I'm mostly a Windows guy, where things like this 'just work' usually.

Thanks for the support.

Jarle Thorsen

Nov 23, 2016, 3:10:07 AM11/23/16
to qubes-users, pixel...@gmail.com
Is there a reason why you do not want to just give QubeOS the full disk, and let it set up the partitions automatically?

pixel...@gmail.com

Nov 23, 2016, 3:13:48 AM11/23/16
to qubes-users, pixel...@gmail.com
Is there a reason why you do not want to just give QubeOS the full disk, and let it set up the partitions automatically?

I did exactly that; selected the Full option and it produced the error message I listed. Using the Standard Partition Scheme has the same result, but with a second error message that is identical to the first, except for "sda3" instead of "sda2".

Jarle Thorsen

Nov 23, 2016, 5:07:13 AM11/23/16
to qubes-users, pixel...@gmail.com
> I did exactly that; selected the Full option and it produced the error message I listed. Using the Standard Partition Scheme has the same result, but with a second error message that is identical to the first, except for "sda3" instead of "sda2".

Did you remember to tick the little box called "use unused space" or similar? It seems like QubesOS is trying to re-use your previous partition-scheme?

pixel...@gmail.com

Nov 23, 2016, 5:17:56 AM11/23/16
to qubes-users
There is no previous partition scheme as this SSD has never been used before, it is blank. I didn't see any option as you describe and I had selected the option that indicates using all of the storage on the drive.

pixel...@gmail.com

Nov 26, 2016, 3:58:25 PM11/26/16
to qubes-users, pixel...@gmail.com
Any further insights on this, experts? This issue is a complete show stopper right now and nothing I can find online seems to directly address it. Thanks again for any assistance.

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Nov 26, 2016, 7:00:38 PM11/26/16
to pixel...@gmail.com, qubes-users

pixel...@gmail.com

Jan 4, 2017, 5:28:20 PM1/4/17
to qubes-users
Thanks for the replies everyone. I wanted to provide an update on the original problem in which the GUI would freeze and thus force me to attempt to use Anaconda's text interface.

I actually (accidentally) stumbled upon the solution. Apparently, changing the Total Graphics Memory setting (shared video memory amount for the built-in Intel GPU) from 512MB to 256MB totally solves the GUI problems!!! I was easily able to use the standard graphical installer to get Qubes OS up and running just fine. Hopefully some other confused person will find this useful to know.

pixel...@gmail.com

Jan 4, 2017, 5:58:28 PM1/4/17
to qubes-users
Additional Notes: The setting I'm referring to is usually available in the UEFI/BIOS. Furthermore, when setting it back to 512MB and attempting to boot the now installed Qubes, I get similar GUI issues as before. Sometimes I can't even enter the LUKS passphrase, other times it will freeze during the creation of the desktop environment. In any case, there seems to be a major bug with the GUI and using more than 256MB of shared video memory.

Drew White

Jan 5, 2017, 12:09:19 AM1/5/17
On Thursday, 5 January 2017 09:58:28 UTC+11, pixel...@gmail.com wrote:
> Additional Notes: Sometimes I can't even enter the LUKS passphrase, other times it will freeze during the creation of the desktop environment.

The Qubes Installer has had this bug since the beginning, and it still isn't fixed in version 3.2. So don't get your hopes up.

radekz...@gmail.com

Apr 8, 2017, 7:00:49 PM4/8/17
to qubes-users, pixel...@gmail.com
Can you share the exact solution for that? What boot kernel parameters have been used? Cheers.

pixel...@gmail.com

Apr 21, 2017, 8:58:29 PM4/21/17
to qubes-users, radekz...@gmail.com
On Saturday, April 8, 2017 at 4:00:49 PM UTC-7, radekz...@gmail.com wrote:
> Can you share the exact solution for that? What boot kernel parameters have been used? Cheers.

I'm not exactly sure what 'boot kernel parameters' are, I only had to set the BIOS setting to 256MB as described and everything worked natively via the normal GUI installer. I don't recall using any special settings beyond that, but it was quite awhile now when I worked on this.