How do I create a Qubes USB Installer within Qubes OS (if it's possible)?

O K

Aug 16, 2019, 10:51:11 AM8/16/19
to qubes-users
Mint lets you do it, but not sure about Qubes.

sourcexorapprentice

Aug 17, 2019, 2:33:23 PM8/17/19
to qubes-users
1. Download and verify the latest Qubes iso in your AppVM:

2. Plug in your USB flash drive, mount it to your AppVM

3. Flash the ISO to the USB using standard Linux command line instruction
This should be a dd command no different than Mint, if not search for instructions for flashing an image to USB in Fedora or Debian, depending on the AppVM that you're using, defaults are Fedora

O K

Aug 18, 2019, 12:59:09 PM8/18/19
to qubes-users
I have a verified copy of Qubes installed and want to install it on a second hard drive, so I was hoping to avoid the whole verification process and just create a usb installer from within the installed Qubes OS.  Is that possible?

Andrew David Wong

Aug 18, 2019, 1:36:10 PM8/18/19
to O K, qubes-users

On 18/08/2019 11.59 AM, O K wrote:
> I have a verified copy of Qubes installed and want to install it
> on a second hard drive, so I was hoping to avoid the whole
> verification process and just create a usb installer from within
> the installed Qubes OS. Is that possible?

You will still have to download and verify the ISO, because an
installation of Qubes OS does not include a Qubes ISO inside of itself.

However, the first step of the verification process is a bit easier
from inside a Qubes installation, because the Qubes Master Signing Key
is already included in every VM (except dom0):

https://www.qubes-os.org/security/verifying-signatures/#1-get-the-qubes-master-signing-key-and-verify-its-authenticity

P.S. -- Please avoid top-posting.

> On Saturday, August 17, 2019 at 2:33:23 PM UTC-4,
> sourcexorapprentice wrote:
>>
>> 1. Download and verify the latest Qubes iso in your AppVM:
>> https://github.com/tasket/Qubes-vpn-support
>>
>> 2. Plug in your USB flash drive, mount it to your AppVM
>> https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/usb-devices/
>>
>> 3. Flash the ISO to the USB using standard Linux command line
>> instruction This should be a dd command no different than Mint,
>> if not search for instructions for flashing an image to USB in
>> Fedora or Debian, depending on the AppVM that you're using,
>> defaults are Fedora
>>

>> On Friday, August 16, 2019 at 10:51:11 AM UTC-4, O K wrote:
>>>
>>> Mint lets you do it, but not sure about Qubes.

- --
Andrew David Wong (Axon)
Community Manager, Qubes OS
https://www.qubes-os.org

Andrew David Wong

Aug 18, 2019, 2:02:24 PM8/18/19
to O K, qubes-users

On 18/08/2019 12.36 PM, Andrew David Wong wrote:
> On 18/08/2019 11.59 AM, O K wrote:
>> I have a verified copy of Qubes installed and want to install it
>> on a second hard drive, so I was hoping to avoid the whole
>> verification process and just create a usb installer from within
>> the installed Qubes OS. Is that possible?
>

> You will still have to download and verify the ISO, because an
> installation of Qubes OS does not include a Qubes ISO inside of itself.
>
> However, the first step of the verification process is a bit easier
> from inside a Qubes installation, because the Qubes Master Signing Key
> is already included in every VM (except dom0):
>
> https://www.qubes-os.org/security/verifying-signatures/#1-get-the-qubes-master-signing-key-and-verify-its-authenticity
>
> P.S. -- Please avoid top-posting.

Likewise for the second step. The release key is already included:

https://www.qubes-os.org/security/verifying-signatures/#2-get-the-release-signing-key