How to enable Sound in Qubes 4.0

Daniil .Travnikov

Aug 5, 2018, 3:58:57 AM8/5/18
to qubes-users
I see that I have in Dom0 some Volume Control, and in 'Output Devices' it is on 100%. But I can't hearing any sounds.

Also I see that I have '00:1f.3 Audio device: Intel Corporation Device a348 (rev 10)' in Devices. But when I am trying to select and click 'OK', I see this message:

"Can't attach PCI device to VM in pvh mode".

Could anyone knows how to turn on any sound in system?

P.S. I am using headphones.

levo...@gmail.com

Aug 7, 2018, 3:19:02 AM8/7/18
to qubes-users
Maybe I need to attach some device on any AppVM to enable sound? Or it is must working in any VM and in Dom0 also without attaching?

Ivan Mitev

Aug 7, 2018, 5:21:11 AM8/7/18
to qubes...@googlegroups.com

On 08/07/2018 10:19 AM, levo...@gmail.com wrote:
> Maybe I need to attach some device on any AppVM to enable sound? Or it is must working in any VM and in Dom0 also without attaching?

You don't have to attach any device to an AppVm in order to get sound
(but you need to attach the microphone if you want to record).

That said there was problem with fedora-28 and pulseaudio, there are
quite a few recent posts on the mailing list about that. The updated
package/fix is in the current-testing repository and should be pushed to
current soon.

levo...@gmail.com

Aug 7, 2018, 8:03:40 AM8/7/18
to qubes-users
On Tuesday, August 7, 2018 at 12:21:11 PM UTC+3, Ivan Mitev wrote:
> You don't have to attach any device to an AppVm in order to get sound
> (but you need to attach the microphone if you want to record).
>
> That said there was problem with fedora-28 and pulseaudio, there are
> quite a few recent posts on the mailing list about that. The updated
> package/fix is in the current-testing repository and should be pushed to
> current soon.

Thank you for your help.

Actually when I am update Dom0 I see version 25 of Fedora.

But in Templates I see 26 version of Fedora.

It means, that I must hear sound already in Dom0 and any other VM's?

Ivan Mitev

Aug 7, 2018, 9:06:32 AM8/7/18
to qubes...@googlegroups.com

That's normal. (see https://www.qubes-os.org/faq/#why-is-dom0-so-old)

> But in Templates I see 26 version of Fedora.

Those are EOL, you should upgrade to Fedora 28

> It means, that I must hear sound already in Dom0 and any other VM's?

In theory, yes, but given that you're using an older f26 template, I
can't say if there are/were problems with pulseaudio like with f28 now.

In dom0, open pulseaudio volume control (in the settings menu), you
should see the VMs where you have pulseaudio running.

In one of the VMs, say 'untrusted', play something ; in the volume
control you should see the volume monitor/level moving for that VM.

- if you don't, something's not OK with pulseaudio between the VM and
dom0 (sorry, can't help to debug further)

- if you do, then your soundcard is likely muted for some reason. Check
for instance the levels in the volume control's "Output devices" tab. It
could also be that the sound driver for your soundcard is buggy, or that
your headphone jack has something stuck in it, which automatically stops
audio to the speaker (this happened to me after my kids played with my
laptop).