Windows tools - vanishing displays

Drew White

Sep 18, 2016, 10:48:11 PM9/18/16
to qubes-users
Hi folks,

I'm currently running seamless mode on Win7 with the latest Windows Tools on Q3.2R1 (fully updated).

I set the seamless GUI in the settings and the window displays, and then it shifts and vanishes after flickering.

I uncheck the box and click ok and nothing happens, I don't get the display up, I don't get the windows back, I don't get anything.

Has anything changed in the tools recently to cause this issue to occur?

Or is it something in Windows causing this?

grzegorz....@gmail.com

Sep 19, 2016, 10:06:45 AM9/19/16
to qubes-users
Are you running dual monitors or a high dpi one? I remember a bug that caused seamless Windows to not work on these displays.

Drew White

Sep 20, 2016, 1:01:16 AM9/20/16
to qubes-users, grzegorz....@gmail.com
On Tuesday, 20 September 2016 00:06:45 UTC+10, grzegorz....@gmail.com wrote:
> W dniu poniedziałek, 19 września 2016 04:48:11 UTC+2 użytkownik Drew White napisał:
> Are you running dual monitors or a high dpi one? I remember a bug that caused seamless Windows to not work on these displays.

I reduced to 2 monitors to see if that fixed it, but it didn't.
Before I updated the tools, when I had the tools working they worked with the single display.

This one however doesn't even do that. If I have 1 display, it still does exactly the same thing.

I've had windows tools working on 4 monitors before, so I know that that isn't the problem.

4 monitors meaning 1@1680x1050(pri) 2@1920x1080 1@1440x900

And it did work fine.

But since I updated, as I said, fully updated, it is not working properly with the tools.

The prior issue with the tools was that seamless mode didn't work AT ALL. and NOTHING AT ALL showed up on the screen if it was seamless on a large resolution.
HOWEVER, the workaround for that one, I did tell ages ago, was to have it running and have a seamless window open, then plug in the extra monitors and have the system recognise them 1 by 1. That way, the seamless desktop grew after initialising on a low resolution.

But just trying to initialise it on a large resolution OR screen/display caused it to not work.

So I still don't know what is wrong here. But I keep hoping there will be a patch that will fix the tools, since they have been broken since Qubes 2 (in some way), but they are improving and hopefully soon they will be fully functional.

Drew White

Sep 20, 2016, 1:25:57 AM9/20/16
to qubes-users
The other issue I should note, whenever the VM is being used, when it's using the Qubes Display Driver, the mouse in Dom0 flickers whenever it's over the top of the displayed area that is Win7.

I even disabled the Desktop, turned off desktop icons, altered the windows configuration to get it working faster.

However, setting NoDesktop seems to stop the system from booting properly into seamless mode. It keeps waiting for QRExec to start, but it never does.

Is QRExec tied into the physical desktop and backdrop/background?

Drew White

Sep 20, 2016, 8:22:18 PM9/20/16
to qubes-users
Heyas,

Well, I'm running Windows not in seamless mode, and I resized the window...

Now it's jumping around doing who knows what...

It's just following the same path, going ballistic. I have to use ALT GRAB to catch the window to TRY to stop it from doing it.

Most of the time it works, but sometimes I grab it, place it after moving it to settle it, and it starts up again. Then I have to grab it again to try to stop it again...

That's using the Qubes Video Driver.

If I run safe mode, or low res mode, I don't get any issue.