VM initial memory

Qubes

Jul 13, 2022, 11:28:12 AM7/13/22
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Hi

I am trying to figure out the significance of the "Initial memory"
setting of a VM. Does it make any difference? For example VM A and B. A
is configured with 500 MB initial memory and 2000 MB Max memory. VM B is
configured with 1000 MB Inintial memory and also 2000 MB Max memory. Is
there a situation where the initial memory will play a role?

I did once have a problem where, I think a think at the time it was a
Fedora 32 template that did not boot when its initial memory was set at
200 MB. Other than start up problems however, does this setting affect
anything in any way for one to make it a genuine consideration?

unman

Jul 16, 2022, 8:24:36 AM7/16/22
to Qubes, qubes...@googlegroups.com
I think that at present a qube will start with maxmem and then balloon
down to initial memory. If memory is set too low the qube wont start,
as you say.
I don't think that memory allocated will drop below "Initial memory", so
if you are tight on RAM it makes sense to reduce it.

Qubes

Jul 16, 2022, 8:30:06 AM7/16/22
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
>> I am trying to figure out the significance of the "Initial memory" setting
>> of a VM. Does it make any difference? For example VM A and B. A is
>> configured with 500 MB initial memory and 2000 MB Max memory. VM B is
>> configured with 1000 MB Inintial memory and also 2000 MB Max memory.
>>

> I think that at present a qube will start with maxmem and then balloon
> down to initial memory. If memory is set too low the qube wont start,
> as you say.
> I don't think that memory allocated will drop below "Initial memory", so
> if you are tight on RAM it makes sense to reduce it.

Funny, I thought it is the opposite. The VM will start with the initial
memory and balloon up to max or back down to initial (minimum) and in
between. I didn't think it will start with max and balloon down. It does
help shed some light, thank you.