Should the footer at the bottom of the mailing list be deleted?

Demi Marie Obenour

Mar 9, 2022, 4:25:19 PM3/9/22
to Qubes OS Users Mailing List
The footer on each message is rather annoying, mostly because it breaks
digital signatures. Should it be set to the empty string, or do its
benefits outweigh the drawbacks?
--
Sincerely,
Demi Marie Obenour (she/her/hers)

Demi Marie Obenour

Mar 9, 2022, 4:33:53 PM3/9/22
to Qubes OS Users Mailing List

Andrew David Wong

Mar 9, 2022, 9:19:26 PM3/9/22
to Demi Marie Obenour, Qubes OS Users Mailing List
On 3/9/22 1:25 PM, Demi Marie Obenour wrote:
> The footer on each message is rather annoying, mostly because it breaks
> digital signatures. Should it be set to the empty string, or do its
> benefits outweigh the drawbacks?

As far as I can tell from examining the settings interface, it can't be
entirely removed or entirely replaced with an empty string. Google
Groups will not allow it.

--
Andrew David Wong
Community Manager

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Mar 9, 2022, 9:46:59 PM3/9/22
to Andrew David Wong, Demi Marie Obenour, Qubes OS Users Mailing List

Demi Marie Obenour

Mar 10, 2022, 1:18:57 AM3/10/22
to Marek Marczykowski-Górecki, Andrew David Wong, Qubes OS Users Mailing List

Sven Semmler

Mar 10, 2022, 1:20:19 AM3/10/22
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
On 3/9/22 20:46, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki wrote:
> Having a link to the message in the footer is also convenient sometimes.

e.g. when processing HCL reports ;-)

/Sven

--
public key: https://www.svensemmler.org/2A632C537D744BC7.asc
fingerprint: DA59 75C9 ABC4 0C83 3B2F 620B 2A63 2C53 7D74 4BC7

Peter Funk

Mar 10, 2022, 6:35:36 AM3/10/22
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

Demi Marie Obenour wrote Wednesday, 09.03.2022 16:33:
> On Wed, Mar 09, 2022 at 04:25:11PM -0500, Demi Marie Obenour wrote:
> > The footer on each message is rather annoying, mostly because it breaks
> > digital signatures. Should it be set to the empty string, or do its
> > benefits outweigh the drawbacks?
>
> Looks like Google mangles the message in other ways, too. In my case,
> the charset is changed from us-ascii to UTF-8, and the
> Content-Transfer-Encoding header is removed, with the `=20` at the end
> of one line being replaced by a space. So the only solutions are either
> inline PGP or to switch list hosting solutions.

Where can I learn, how to use inline PGP (GPG) properly in my messages?
I use 'mutt' as my preferred MUA.

Best regards, Peter Funk
--
Peter Funk ✉:Oldenburger Str.86, 27777 Ganderkesee, Germany; 📱:+49-179-640-8878
homeoffice ☎:+49-4222-950270

Eric W. Biederman

Mar 10, 2022, 2:10:49 PM3/10/22
Demi Marie Obenour <de...@invisiblethingslab.com> writes:

> The footer on each message is rather annoying, mostly because it breaks
> digital signatures. Should it be set to the empty string, or do its
> benefits outweigh the drawbacks?

Doesn't it also break DMARC? I remember that was a big fight 5 or so
years ago to get all of the mailing list software to do something that
was compatible with DMARC because all messages that came through
mailling lists from a source that enabled DMARC to a MTA that enforced
DMARC were bouncing.

Eric

Ulrich Windl

Mar 10, 2022, 3:42:13 PM3/10/22
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
On 3/9/22 22:25, Demi Marie Obenour wrote:
> The footer on each message is rather annoying, mostly because it breaks
> digital signatures. Should it be set to the empty string, or do its
> benefits outweigh the drawbacks?

I wouldn't care that much about the footer if the content is kept
intact, but I think some mailing list software also messes up with
multipart MIME messages. Haven't seen that here, but on mailman lists...

Regards,
Ulrich

Demi Marie Obenour

Mar 10, 2022, 5:59:53 PM3/10/22
to Peter Funk, qubes...@googlegroups.com

Demi Marie Obenour

Mar 10, 2022, 6:02:22 PM3/10/22
to Eric W. Biederman, Qubes OS Users Mailing List