Qubes 4.1 qrexec issue?

taran1s

Mar 6, 2022, 4:03:49 PM3/6/22
to qubes-users
I have an issue with Split GPG as well as with opening files in the
disposable VMs and with the qrexec in the guide How to use Monero
CLI/daemon with Qubes + Whonix too.

https://www.getmonero.org/resources/user-guides/cli_wallet_daemon_isolation_qubes_whonix.html

Split GPG

Opening Thunderbird, I get following errors in the notification popup:

Denied: whonix.NewStatus
Denied whonix.NewStatus+status from work-email to sys-whonix

I have to as well make every gpg action confirm in the Dom0 Operation
Execution with Target GPG backend.

Using dispVMs from within AppVM

When trying to convert file or open it in the disposable VM from within
the normal AppVM, I get an error popuplike :

Denied: qubes.PdfConvert
Denied qubes.pdfConvert from work-email to @dispvm

Any advice appreciated!

taran1s

Mar 9, 2022, 6:21:20 AM3/9/22
to qubes-users

taran1s:
Is this mailing list still active or one needs to better go to a
different place?

unman

Mar 9, 2022, 8:38:02 AM3/9/22
to taran1s, qubes-users
Still active, but the Forum has more traffic, although it's often low
grade and noisy.

On your questions, the first looks like a Whonix issue - Patrick has
asked that Qubes-Whonix questions be put in the Whonix forums, where
they will get better oversight.
The second looks like permissions - look in the policy file at
/etc/qubes-rpc/policy/qubes.PdfConvert

awokd

Mar 9, 2022, 1:41:46 PM3/9/22
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
'taran1s' via qubes-users:

> taran1s:
>> I have an issue with Split GPG as well as with opening files in the
>> disposable VMs and with the qrexec in the guide How to use Monero
>> CLI/daemon with Qubes + Whonix too.

> Is this mailing list still active or one needs to better go to a
> different place?

Think many users are over on the forum (https://forum.qubes-os.org/).
Your question is a bit niche, though, so possibly not many in general
have experienced a similar issue or know how to fix it?

--
- don't top post
- trim quoted reply to only relevant portions

Demi Marie Obenour

Mar 9, 2022, 4:11:23 PM3/9/22
to taran1s, qubes-users

On Sun, Mar 06, 2022 at 09:03:29PM +0000, 'taran1s' via qubes-users wrote:
> I have an issue with Split GPG as well as with opening files in the
> disposable VMs and with the qrexec in the guide How to use Monero CLI/daemon
> with Qubes + Whonix too.
>
> https://www.getmonero.org/resources/user-guides/cli_wallet_daemon_isolation_qubes_whonix.html
>
> Split GPG
>
> Opening Thunderbird, I get following errors in the notification popup:
>
> Denied: whonix.NewStatus
> Denied whonix.NewStatus+status from work-email to sys-whonix

This is a Whonix problem I am not familiar with.

> I have to as well make every gpg action confirm in the Dom0 Operation
> Execution with Target GPG backend.

You can solve this problem by adding a line such as:

qubes.Gpg + work-email <yourtarget> allow

to `/etc/qubes/policy.d/30-user.policy`. Be sure to replace <yourtarget>
with the name of the backend qube.

> Using dispVMs from within AppVM
>
> When trying to convert file or open it in the disposable VM from within the
> normal AppVM, I get an error popuplike :
>
> Denied: qubes.PdfConvert
> Denied qubes.pdfConvert from work-email to @dispvm

What is work-email’s default DisposableVM template? It’s in the
“Default DispVM” column in Qubes Manager. If it is “None” or “default
(None)” you will get this error. Setting it to a valid DisposableVM
Template (such as whonix-ws-16-dvm) should solve the problem.

> Any advice appreciated!

- --
Sincerely,
Demi Marie Obenour (she/her/hers)
Invisible Things Lab

Ulrich Windl

Mar 10, 2022, 3:38:46 PM3/10/22
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
On 3/9/22 12:20, 'taran1s' via qubes-users wrote:

> Is this mailing list still active or one needs to better go to a
> different place?

Wouldn't reading the list answer the question? ;-)

taran1s

Mar 16, 2022, 6:02:58 AM3/16/22
to unman, qubes-users

unman:
The /etc/qubes-rpc/policy/qubes.PdfConvert has allowed anyvm to run
PdfConvert
$anyvm $dispvm allow

I already asked on the whonix forum and followed the improved version of
the guide for Split Monero on Whonix website, but got another error that
seems like the monero-wallet-ws AppVM doesnt see the monerod-ws AppVM.
Monero GUI cannot connect and monero-wallet-cli returns this error:

Error: wallet failed to connect to daemon: http://localhost:18081.
Daemon either is not started or wrong port was passed. Please make sure
daemon is running or change the daemon address using the ‘set_daemon’
command.
Background refresh thread started

The monerod-ws is syncing albeit it gets quite a lot Socks errors here
and there and sometimes freezes

Also in connection with the error related to the PdfConvert, I am not
sure if the issue wiht the Split Monero is whonix specific or it is
linked to the general qubes qrexcec setup and permissions of my Qubes.

Qubes 4.1 I use is vanilla and whonix-ws-16 is full vanilla too.

It would be really helpful if someone more experienced could have a look
into it and provide help. I am cut off from the monero usage now if I
don't want to use the remote node which I would like to avoid. Tried to
find an answer on the net but didn't succeed.

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help us solve the issue!

taran1s

Mar 21, 2022, 1:00:19 PM3/21/22
to Demi Marie Obenour, unman, qubes-users

Demi Marie Obenour:
> What do the files under “/etc/qubes/policy.d” contain? R4.1 has a new
> policy syntax and the files are located in a different directory. That
> could easily cause denials.

Dear Demi-Marie, thank you for your reaction. Patrick on whonix forum
mentioned that this is an issue (the communication in between qubes)
with the Qubes qrexec rules, not whonix specific.

To your question regarding, the files under /etc/qubes/policy.d. The
Qubes 4.1 is a fresh installation and I didn't make any changes except
the Split Gpg and the Monero guide here
http://www.dds6qkxpwdeubwucdiaord2xgbbeyds25rbsgr73tbfpqpt4a6vjwsyd.onion/wiki/Monero_Wallet_Isolation

I believe that there are no changes whatsoever in the files under
/etc/qubes/policy.d and should be in default vanilla state.

Thank you in advance for your support!

Demi Marie Obenour

Mar 21, 2022, 9:27:11 PM3/21/22
to taran1s, unman, qubes-users