How to use optical media (audio CDs and CDR, DVD, etc...) in qubes?

Peter Funk

Feb 25, 2022, 11:54:27 AM2/25/22
to qubes-users
Hello,

In the past I used the builtin SATA optical drive of my laptop
to play audio CDs from my collection or convert them into .ogg
or .mp3 files. This was before I migrated from Ubuntu to Qubes-OS.
Now I'm looking for a suitable way to use the application
sound-juicer which worked really nice in Ubuntu. After reading
the documentation here:
https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/how-to-use-optical-discs/
I'm now a little bit concerned that I might not be able to make
proper use of the Vendor: TSSTcorp Model: BDDVDW SN-506BB optical
drive built into my laptop.

Any advice how I can get around this? Or do I have to hope that
a future version von Qubes-OS/Xen might include a driver which will
allow to run sound-juicer in qube (guest)?

Best regards, Peter Funk
--
Peter Funk ✉:Oldenburger Str.86, 27777 Ganderkesee, Germany; 📱:+49-179-640-8878
homeoffice ☎:+49-4222-950270

Demi Marie Obenour

Feb 27, 2022, 8:49:19 PM2/27/22
to Peter Funk, qubes-users

awokd

Mar 5, 2022, 6:53:42 AM3/5/22
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Peter Funk:

> https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/how-to-use-optical-discs/
> I'm now a little bit concerned that I might not be able to make
> proper use of the Vendor: TSSTcorp Model: BDDVDW SN-506BB optical
> drive built into my laptop.
>
> Any advice how I can get around this? Or do I have to hope that
> a future version von Qubes-OS/Xen might include a driver which will
> allow to run sound-juicer in qube (guest)?

Option #2 in the link may work with your laptop, but controller
passthrough is hit or miss and someone would have to have the same model
of laptop to say for sure if it would work.

--
- don't top post
- trim quoted reply to only relevant portions

Peter Funk

Mar 13, 2022, 7:47:16 AM3/13/22
to awokd, qubes...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

Last weekend 05.03.2022 11:53 'awokd' replied via qubes-users :
> Peter Funk (that's me) :
>
> > https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/how-to-use-optical-discs/
> > I'm now a little bit concerned that I might not be able to make
> > proper use of the Vendor: TSSTcorp Model: BDDVDW SN-506BB optical
> > drive built into my laptop.
> >
> > Any advice how I can get around this? Or do I have to hope that
> > a future version von Qubes-OS/Xen might include a driver which will
> > allow to run sound-juicer in qube (guest)?
>
> Option #2 in the link may work with your laptop, but controller passthrough
> is hit or miss and someone would have to have the same model of laptop to
> say for sure if it would work.

The motherboard of my laptop has only one single SATA controller:
SATA controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series Chipset Family 6-port SATA Controller [AHCI mode] (rev 04)
If I try to use this as a passthrough device in the devices tab of the
settings of a certain qube then my Qubes-OS system freezes immediately
when I try to start this certain qube.

I think the Qube Manager should forbid this. If the situation
in dom0 is as follows (Shell-Pseudocode) then the Qube Manager
gui should stop users being as naive as I was:

if [ `lspci | grep SATA | wc -l` = 1 ] || [ selected_controller_is_SATA ]
then error "passthrough would stop system disk from working"
fi

So for the moment I've given up any hope that I could use my builtin
bluray drive of my laptop in Qubes-OS to work with any optical media.

The next thing I tried was to plug an external USB optical
drive into one of the USB ports.

This also appears fine in the device manager menu similar to the builtin
optical drive before when I put a audio media into that one.

I can assign this sys-usb:sr0 device to the qube with the gnome sound
juicer application installed.

However this will not work either, because the virtual block device
(/dev/xvdi in my case) appears not have some magical properties of
a real audio cdrom this application seems to expect.

Even creating symbolic links /dev/sr0 or /dev/cdrom pointing to
/dev/xvdi are not sufficient enough to trick the program into reading
the content of this device as audio cdrom tracks. The error message
"Sound Juicer could not find any CD-ROM drives to read." persists.

I've also tried other applications: K3B from KDE and clementine.
Same problem.

Best regards (Liebe Grüße), Peter Funk
signature.asc

awokd

Mar 13, 2022, 4:10:42 PM3/13/22
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Peter Funk:

> So for the moment I've given up any hope that I could use my builtin
> bluray drive of my laptop in Qubes-OS to work with any optical media.
>
> The next thing I tried was to plug an external USB optical
> drive into one of the USB ports.
>
> This also appears fine in the device manager menu similar to the builtin
> optical drive before when I put a audio media into that one.
>
> I can assign this sys-usb:sr0 device to the qube with the gnome sound
> juicer application installed.
>
> However this will not work either, because the virtual block device
> (/dev/xvdi in my case) appears not have some magical properties of
> a real audio cdrom this application seems to expect.

USB drive may be accessible to apps run within sys-usb, which is a bit
better than running them in dom0.

Demi Marie Obenour

Mar 13, 2022, 4:14:07 PM3/13/22
to awokd, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki, qubes...@googlegroups.com

Andrew David Wong

Mar 14, 2022, 5:38:56 PM3/14/22
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
On 3/13/22 1:14 PM, Demi Marie Obenour wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 13, 2022 at 08:10:23PM +0000, 'awokd' via qubes-users wrote:
>> Peter Funk:
>
>>> So for the moment I've given up any hope that I could use my builtin
>>> bluray drive of my laptop in Qubes-OS to work with any optical media.
>>>
>>> The next thing I tried was to plug an external USB optical
>>> drive into one of the USB ports.
>>>
>>> This also appears fine in the device manager menu similar to the builtin
>>> optical drive before when I put a audio media into that one.
>>>
>>> I can assign this sys-usb:sr0 device to the qube with the gnome sound
>>> juicer application installed.
>>>
>>> However this will not work either, because the virtual block device
>>> (/dev/xvdi in my case) appears not have some magical properties of
>>> a real audio cdrom this application seems to expect.
>
>> USB drive may be accessible to apps run within sys-usb, which is a bit
>> better than running them in dom0.
>
> You might also be able to use USB pass-through. That said, is there any
> chance that SCSI pass-through could be supported, Marek?

Follow-up issue (for anyone following this thread):

Andrew David Wong
Community Manager
The Qubes OS Project
https://www.qubes-os.org