Whonix Tor Browser Starter safest setting fails

50 megtekintés
Ugrás az első olvasatlan üzenetre

b17b7bdb

olvasatlan,
2019. szept. 12. 18:42:212019. 09. 12.
– qubes...@googlegroups.com
Setting tb_security_slider_safest=true (either by selecting Yes in the Tor Browser Starter screen or by creating a line in /etc/torbrowser.d/50_user.conf) does not result in the expected behavior.

Expected Behavior:
- Shield icon is fully colored
- Security Level is set to Safest in about:preferences#privacy
- JavaScript is disabled by default on ALL sites

Actual Behavior:
- Shield icon is fully colored
- Security Level is set to Safest in about:preferences#privacy
- JavaScript is ALLOWED on selected sites.
To view these sites click on the NoScript Preferences button in the about:addons page and then select the Per-Site Permissions tab.

awokd

olvasatlan,
2019. szept. 13. 5:32:072019. 09. 13.
– qubes...@googlegroups.com
'b17b7bdb' via qubes-users:
> Setting tb_security_slider_safest=true (either by selecting Yes in the Tor Browser Starter screen or by creating a line in /etc/torbrowser.d/50_user.conf) does not result in the expected behavior.

> Actual Behavior:
> - Shield icon is fully colored
> - Security Level is set to Safest in about:preferences#privacy
> - JavaScript is ALLOWED on selected sites.
> To view these sites click on the NoScript Preferences button in the about:addons page and then select the Per-Site Permissions tab.

When I do this in a fresh DispVM with the above setting, I see no sites
listed on the Per-Site Permissons tab. Are you using a disposable VM?

--
- don't top post
- trim quoted reply to only relevant portions

b17b7bdb

olvasatlan,
2019. szept. 13. 13:17:102019. 09. 13.
– qubes...@googlegroups.com
On 9/13/19 9:31 AM, 'awokd' via qubes-users wrote:> 'b17b7bdb' via qubes-users:
>> Setting tb_security_slider_safest=true (either by selecting Yes in the Tor Browser Starter screen or by creating a line in /etc/torbrowser.d/50_user.conf) does not result in the expected behavior.
>
>> Actual Behavior:
>> - Shield icon is fully colored
>> - Security Level is set to Safest in about:preferences#privacy
>> - JavaScript is ALLOWED on selected sites.
>> To view these sites click on the NoScript Preferences button in the about:addons page and then select the Per-Site Permissions tab.
>>
> When I do this in a fresh DispVM with the above setting, I see no sites
> listed on the Per-Site Permissons tab. Are you using a disposable VM?

That's correct.  I observed the same behavior in the Whonix DispVMs on two different machines, one of which is a fresh (and updated) install of R4.0.1.  Notably, if I manually set the security level to safer in about:preferences#privacy then the per-site permissions disappear.

These permissions are clearly the default permissions included with no-script add-on.  For example, a variety of google, microsoft, yahoo, paypal, and netflix sites are default trusted, among others.

awokd

olvasatlan,
2019. szept. 13. 13:51:502019. 09. 13.
– qubes...@googlegroups.com
'b17b7bdb' via qubes-users:
We might be miscommunicating. I'm saying when I set
/etc/torbrowser.d/50_user.conf with tb_security_slider_safest=true and
start a new DispVM (on current-testing), I see zero sites listed. Did
you add the setting in whonix-ws-15 template? I tried it in the DVM
template first, but it didn't stick. I do see what you mean with about
30 sites listed when I start a DispVM (on a different client on current)
without that setting. Is your Tor Browser 8.5? Odd that you're
experiencing different behavior. Might want to mention on qubes-whonix
forum too.

b17b7bdb

olvasatlan,
2019. szept. 13. 15:15:492019. 09. 13.
– qubes...@googlegroups.com
> We might be miscommunicating. I'm saying when I set
> /etc/torbrowser.d/50_user.conf with tb_security_slider_safest=true and
> start a new DispVM (on current-testing), I see zero sites listed. Did
> you add the setting in whonix-ws-15 template? I tried it in the DVM
> template first, but it didn't stick. I do see what you mean with about
> 30 sites listed when I start a DispVM (on a different client on current)
> without that setting. Is your Tor Browser 8.5? Odd that you're
> experiencing different behavior. Might want to mention on qubes-whonix
> forum too.

Yes, I created /etc/torbrowser.d/50_user.conf in the whonix-ws-15 template and added the line tb_security_slider_safest=true, which persisted across all DispVMs.  Everything worked as expected, no TB starter window and js was disabled for all sites, except for the per-site permissions listed as trusted by no-script.  I observed the same behavior after commenting out the line and choosing yes in the starter window.  Both machines have TB 8.5.5 installed.  It is indeed surprising that we're observing different behaviors.

(Btw, my apologies if this creates another new thread.  Not sure how to get around this since I'm not able to respond directly in protonmail.)

scurge1tl

olvasatlan,
2019. szept. 16. 3:07:302019. 09. 16.
– awokd, qubes...@googlegroups.com
0xC1F4E83AF470A4ED.asc

Patrick Schleizer

olvasatlan,
2019. szept. 19. 4:28:072019. 09. 19.
– b17b7bdb, qubes...@googlegroups.com, Whonix-devel
'b17b7bdb' via qubes-users:
> - JavaScript is ALLOWED on selected sites.
> To view these sites click on the NoScript Preferences button in the about:addons page and then select the Per-Site Permissions tab.

Whonix source code doesn't write literally googlevideo, netflix,
outlook, etc. anywhere. It does not do anything to give special
treatment to any websites.

By policy, for simplicity, clean implementation and whatnot, the
"inside" of Tor Browser isn't modified by Whonix. This is elaborated here:

https://www.whonix.org/wiki/FAQ#Does_Whonix_Change_Default_Tor_Browser_Settings.3F

Tor Browser upstream issue. Bug report written just now.

wipe all mentions of netflix, paypal, youtube, ... from noscript in Tor
Browser

See also:

https://www.helpnetsecurity.com/2015/07/01/researchers-point-out-the-holes-in-noscripts-default-whitelist/

https://thehackerblog.com/the-noscript-misnomer-why-should-i-trust-vjs-zendcdn-net/

>From noscript FAQ:

Q: What websites are in the default whitelist and

https://noscript.net/faq#qa1_5

Q: What is a trusted site?

https://noscript.net/faq#qa1_11

Whonix forum discussion: