lenovo t400 will qubes work with lenovo's bios?

ronwi...@safe-mail.net

Jan 2, 2018, 12:25:52 PM1/2/18
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
https://www.qubes-os.org/hcl/

Can you install qubes on a lenovo t400, which runs the lenovo bios? Thanks.

James Goodwin

Jan 2, 2018, 2:24:10 PM1/2/18
to qubes-users
I'm running a Lenovo T420 with Qubes 4.0 RC3, and it's working fantastically.

Qubes HCL Report says hvm, I/O MMU, HAP/SLAT, TPM, and Remapping all working.

Sometimes it will report differently, but that's due to an incomplete xl dmesg. Not sure why it's incomplete, but everything is working fine.

Tai...@gmx.com

Jan 6, 2018, 4:33:04 PM1/6/18
to ronwi...@safe-mail.net, qubes...@googlegroups.com
On 01/02/2018 12:25 PM, ronwi...@Safe-mail.net wrote:

> https://www.qubes-os.org/hcl/
>
> Can you install qubes on a lenovo t400, which runs the lenovo bios? Thanks.

Yeah although you might as well install coreboot so you get better
security and performance.

jcr...@gmail.com

Mar 25, 2019, 12:19:56 PM3/25/19
to qubes-users
On Tuesday, January 2, 2018 at 6:25:52 PM UTC+1, ronwi...@safe-mail.net wrote:
> https://www.qubes-os.org/hcl/
>
> Can you install qubes on a lenovo t400, which runs the lenovo bios? Thanks.

Did you try this?
Seems T400 do not have Intel vt-d as far as I can tell.

Антон Чехов

Mar 25, 2019, 1:17:10 PM3/25/19
to qubes-users

Well, I did and I can tell you that it didn't work. You already described the reason for this. I also did try with libreboot (which is based on coreboot) and it didn't work either.

Also the famous Lenovo G505S does *not* work with stock bios, I think it is missing microcodes for Qubes 4.0. I tried different versions of the stock bios. The latest is v3.0, if I recall correctly.

Like James Goodwin mentioned earlier in this thread about a year ago, the T420 works (almost) perfectly out of the box.
The only problem I am having is suspend. There is a strange behavior when waking up, it's some cycle where all the lights are blinking every few seconds.

Apart from this I think the T420 is a very good choice for a small budget. Also, it is very silent, which for me is an important factor.