Can anyone recommend a video card for Qubes

Chris Willard

Jan 14, 2017, 5:01:34 AM1/14/17
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Hello All,

I am using my on-board video but only getting 1024x768 resolution so
wondered if there is another video card type I could use.

--
Best regards,
Chris

P.S. Drowning in email? I use SaneBox to instantly clean up my Inbox: http://sanebox.com/t/k3bk9

qmast...@gmail.com

Jan 14, 2017, 12:15:01 PM1/14/17
to qubes-users, ch...@thewillards.co.uk
суббота, 14 января 2017 г., 5:01:34 UTC-5 пользователь Chris Willard написал:
> Hello All,
>
> I am using my on-board video but only getting 1024x768 resolution so
> wondered if there is another video card type I could use.
>
> --
> Best regards,
> Chris

any AMD graphic card should be great for Qubes, because AMD has pretty good open source drivers for Linux. Dont get NVIDIA because in that case you would have to use NVIDIA closed source drivers with hidden backdoors and proven telemetry; nouveau is still not in a good shape, probably because no real assistance from NVIDIA - they want everyone to use their closed source stuff

Tai...@gmx.com

Jan 14, 2017, 2:20:23 PM1/14/17
to qmast...@gmail.com, qubes-users, ch...@thewillards.co.uk
Wait the nvidia linux drivers have telemetry?
I thought it was only windows, and only if you install the "geforce
experience".

Irreguardless nvidia is an awful company that adds "bugs" to nerf
featuresets on non-windows platforms, and they make it hard to attach
the card to a virtual machine (ex: error 43).

Just say NO to binary blobbed hardware.

qmast...@gmail.com

Jan 14, 2017, 4:22:20 PM1/14/17
to qubes-users, qmast...@gmail.com, ch...@thewillards.co.uk, Tai...@gmx.com
Saturday, 14 January 2017 г., 14:20:23 UTC-5 Tai...@gmx.com wrote:
> On 01/14/2017 12:15 PM, qmastery wrote:
>
> > Saturday, 14 January 2017 г., 5:01:34 UTC-5 Chris Willard написал:
Yes, you are correct, maybe I am wrong here... After that experience when I uninstalled a Geforce Experience from my friend's Windows PC, but telemetry "virus" wasn't removed and continued to work until I wiped those nvidia telemetry executable files manually using Ubuntu LiveCD - the remains of my trust to this company has been completely lost. Maybe it is more safe to assume that their telemetry is in all their software, and the best way to avoid it is to stop using NVIDIA products. The source is closed, and we just can't verify with 100% confidence that their latest Linux drivers don't have a telemetry as well, they had plenty of time to build in telemetry into Linux drivers and conceal it

daltong defourne

Jan 15, 2017, 5:10:55 PM1/15/17
to qubes-users, qmast...@gmail.com, ch...@thewillards.co.uk, Tai...@gmx.com
Well, I gotta warn that chances of successfully working with closed source drivers are slim. They compile okay, and even insmod okay, but X dies with occult error about allocating memory.

I am having an almost bearable experience with core i7's integrated graphics right now

raah...@gmail.com

Jan 17, 2017, 11:21:37 PM1/17/17
to qubes-users, qmast...@gmail.com, ch...@thewillards.co.uk, Tai...@gmx.com
no not open source drivers. It really don't matter if its amd or nvidia. I actually think the nvidia drivers are way better then amd for linux. I use a gtx 650 and its always run great on linux. proprietary drivers better for gaming. open source better for the linux desktops. What you would want to do is just research the card model how it performs with linux. and even more compatible would be the onboard intel like you are already using. But I guess you would have to update the board in that case to get latest resolutions and desktop effects.

qmast...@gmail.com

Jan 18, 2017, 5:00:14 AM1/18/17
to qubes-users, qmast...@gmail.com, ch...@thewillards.co.uk, Tai...@gmx.com, raah...@gmail.com
среда, 18 января 2017 г., 7:21:37 UTC+3 пользователь raah...@gmail.com написал:
People who are using QubesOS usually care a lot about security, so: while NVIDIA closed source drivers probably have a better quality/performance than AMD open source drivers, NVIDIA closed source drivers are not an option just because their source code is closed (and also because it is a painful experience to update/maintain them)

Last time I tested, 1 year ago it was like that (">" means "better than") :
NVIDIA closed source > AMD open source > AMD closed source > NVIDIA open source (nouveau)

Meanwhile, AMD drivers have been improving quickly during the recent times, so it could be just a matter of time before AMD open source drivers become better than NVIDIA closed source drivers (both in quality and performance)

raah...@gmail.com

Jan 18, 2017, 11:09:28 AM1/18/17
to qubes-users, qmast...@gmail.com, ch...@thewillards.co.uk, Tai...@gmx.com, raah...@gmail.com
they only have better performance in gaming. Like steam. When it comes to xfce and kde desktops. the open source drivers give BETTER performance with my nvidia card then proprietary. Meaning no screen flickering with opengl effects in kde as example.