No boot after dom0 security repo update on may 15

pon...@keemail.me

May 16, 2018, 9:51:31 AM5/16/18
to qubes-users
Hi all.

My machine directly boots into BIOS screen if my Asus Zenbook UX303 after updating Qubes 4.0 dom0, security repo enabled. I don't remember the error messages (s.th. with keys).

So I boot from rescue USB Stick. Have to choose (3), going directly to shell. —

And here I'm stuck, since many, many hours. No really helpful, _accurate_ instructions for medium talented users found. ;)

How to replace dom0? Or restore boot files?
I've got a pretty fresh complete backup on external USB drive, but don't want to install everything anew.

Thanks for help!

pon...@keemail.me

May 17, 2018, 12:36:34 PM5/17/18
to qubes-users

 I think I'm on the right way.

  1) Booting from USB installer/rescue stick

  2) 'Rescue' mode

  3) Number (1), waiting _patiently_ for decryption

  4) Following

  https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/uefi-troubleshooting,

  section 'Installation finished but “Qubes” boot

  option is missing and xen.cfg is empty'

  Let's see ...

pon...@keemail.me

May 17, 2018, 12:56:51 PM5/17/18
to qubes-users

 Yay!

  Deleted new kernel entries, changed default in

  xen.cfg to older kernel.

  Uff.

awokd

May 18, 2018, 1:42:17 PM5/18/18
to pon...@keemail.me, qubes-users
On Wed, May 16, 2018 1:51 pm, pon...@keemail.me wrote:
> Hi all. My machine directly boots into BIOS screen if my Asus Zenbook
> UX303 after updating Qubes 4.0 dom0, security repo enabled. I don't
> remember the error messages (s.th. with keys).
> So I boot from rescue USB Stick. Have to choose (3), going directly to
> shell. —
> And here I'm stuck, since many, many hours. No really helpful, _accurate_
> instructions for medium talented users found. ;)
> How to replace dom0? Or restore boot files?I've got a pretty fresh
> complete backup on external USB drive, but don't want to install
> everything anew.

Reinstall/restore might be fastest. If you want to try to fix it, search
this mailing list for "efibootmgr" assuming you have UEFI boot. Sounds
like something got corrupted. Reinstall GRUB if not using UEFI.

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

May 22, 2018, 7:02:40 PM5/22/18
to awokd, pon...@keemail.me, qubes-users