HCL

Cyb3renigma

May 21, 2017, 3:46:24 AM5/21/17
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
i noticed that the hcl is quite old most of the pcs are old i would like to buy an new pc but i have to be sure all the components are compatible with qubes OS. Let me know something. I would like to buy a laptop HP or asus that is perfectly complatible and that has got double HDD
many thanks

Sent from ProtonMail Mobile

Vít Šesták

May 21, 2017, 10:16:39 AM5/21/17
to qubes-users
I've bought a laptop recently, so maybe I can give few hints:

* If it has Linux variant, it is more likely to work with Qubes.
* Try to avoid dedicated GPU, especially if you want external monitor output. In some cases, it causes issues.
* If you get something quite new which refuses to work well with your hardware, try a new kernel from current-testing or unstable branch.

Regards,
Vít Šesták 'v6ak'

Jean-Philippe Ouellet

May 23, 2017, 2:19:22 AM5/23/17
to Vít Šesták, qubes-users
FWIW, considering the trade-off between marginally improved
performance and hardware support, I've had better overall experiences
with hardware that's 1-2 years old.

- Just some random guy on the internet's personal opinion...

cooloutac

May 23, 2017, 3:20:32 AM5/23/17
to qubes-users, cyb3r...@protonmail.com
linux hardware support is usually 1-2 years behind as general rule of thumb.

For Qubes I would just make sure it support vt-d/iommu in the manual.