HP laptop - issue with "pulsating" fan, ramping up and down every 3s

cub...@tutamail.com

Feb 18, 2018, 2:35:37 PM2/18/18
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
I've recently bought an HP 1040 G3 laptop to use with Qubes-OS. The latest version has been installed (4.0 rc4) but I have few issues that I'm trying to sort out.

One of them is the issue with fan speed. As the qubes OS starts the fan is constantly on, but the speeed seems to insrease ever so slightly every 3s. That creates an "pulsting" effect of the fan noise which, when using the laptop for a longer time, becomes really disturbing.

I tried to find solutions online but as of now was unsuccessful. In Power Management settings of quebes there is no reference to fan speed or settings that could influence it.

Could anyone advise how to setup and control fan speed with qubes-os?

Many thanks

cub...@tutamail.com

Feb 18, 2018, 2:49:09 PM2/18/18
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
I've installed Qubes-OS 4.0 rc4 on HP 1040 G3 laptop.
It seems HP has changed the rules of the game and introduced dedicated driver for the physical wireless toggle button (located above the keyboard, next to the audio on/off button).
I actually test installed Windows 10 on the laptop to confirm the new feature. And indeed, without installing "wireless button driver" pressing the button would not cause any effect.
The same holds true with Qubes-OS installed on the laptop.

Is there any way of forcing this button to work? It works fine on older HP laptop models but they seems to be tightening their hardware architecture even further.

My alternative approach for now is to create scrips in sys-net VM to load / unload kernel modules (sudo rmmod iwlmvm / sudo rmmod iwlwifi / sudo modprobe iwlwifi). This does work fine but is not as elegant as pressing dedicated button.

Please share your thoughts and suggestions on forcing HP 1040 G3 to behave.

Thank you
Paul

cub...@tutamail.com

Feb 18, 2018, 5:17:48 PM2/18/18
to qubes...@googlegroups.com

Hi,
Could anyone help me with figuring out how to set one of the custom display resolution as startup default?

Qubes 4.0 rc 4 comes with many predefined resolutions but unfortunately only one with the aspect ration of 16:9.

I then created various custom resolution modes and added them to desplay options. I used the following commands:
cvt - to get new mode parameters
xrandr --newmode - to define new resolution mode
xrandr --addmode - to add newly defined resolution mode to deplay drop-down box
xrandr --output - to apply new, desired resolution to the current display.

What I can't work out is how to make of my new, custom resolution to be used by qubes-os as default.
What qubes-os configuration files should I modify and how in order to achieve that? Do I need to interfere with xen.config?

If you already have a solution please share.

Thank you
Paul

Yuraeitha

Feb 18, 2018, 5:55:40 PM2/18/18
to qubes-users

You don't have to go and change anything major, you can basically just write it into a script, and then make that script execute whenever Qubes boots. This is very powerful, as it puts you into the habits to do other cool things with this, the limitation is the sky, or your imagination.

Essentially, just open up a dom0 terminal, write "nano screen-settings.sh"
Copy paste, or write, your script in the window. When done, close it with shift+x, which gives you a yes, no, or cancel choice to save, pick Y for yes. Then it'll ask you the name, you already wrote that, so just press enter to confirm the name.

Now make the script executeable, do that with
sudo chmod +x /path/to/your/script.sh

Then you can open Sessions and Startup in System-Tools, or instead just write "xfce4-session-settings" in dom0 to open the GUI window. Go to the "Application Autostart" tab. Click "Add", write a name, whatever you like, and add the location of your script in the command-line.

This should essentially execute your script every time you boot up. You can also keybind it, similarly by going to System-Tools, Keyboard, and then the Shortcut tab. For example, it may be nice to have a keyboard to handle screen resolution, etc. for when you plugin a HDMI external monitor, projector, or similar, which annoyingly never memorizes last settings. So having a keybind here is very nice if you run into those situations.

This approach doesn't limit you to screen settings, you can do a whole lot of things with this method.

Yuraeitha

Feb 18, 2018, 6:03:37 PM2/18/18
to qubes-users

As for your wireless button, you can do the same as above, write it in a script, and keybind it. While the specific keybind key may not be changeable, you can literally pick any other default keys to keybind instead.

I'm not sure about the fan speed thingy, it sounds like you either need a better kernel module (kind of like an external, optional, secondary driver from the kernel's more primary drivers, if using windows language), or a poor setting in UEFI. It could also be a bad UEFI version that requires UEFI to be updated, but you may want to try other fixes before updating your UEFI, which can go wrong if not done properly, bricking your laptop's motherboard. But perhaps you have done it before, in which case, it's less dangerous if you know what you get yourself into here. But try see if you can find a kernel moduel first for your CPU/motherboard, try google any Linux systems using your hardware, this is not something unique to Qubes, but may likely appear on any number of Linux systems using this hardware.

Yuraeitha

Feb 18, 2018, 6:16:48 PM2/18/18
to qubes-users
On Sunday, February 18, 2018 at 11:17:48 PM UTC+1, cub...@tutamail.com wrote:

I must have brainfarts today, I keep remembering things I should have mentioned.

In order to execute your scripts inside an AppVM, with keyboard controls located in dom0 or sys-usb, you'll need to use something like this, a command that executes a command inside your AppVM.

If the command in the AppVM is small enough, then you can also bypass the script in the AppVM entirely, and just execute the command directly from the keybind in dom0, instead of executing a full script.

You might have to modify it a bit, it can be a bit erm, how to put it, special at times. But once you have the right modified command down, you just need to back it up so you don't loose it again.

qvm-run AppVM "gnome-terminal -e command-to-execute -options, etc."
qvm-run AppVM "terminal" etc.
qvm-run AppVM bash etc.

Basically, it depends on the AppVM's terminal, bash and PID logic, and what not. Try experiment with it.