Upgrading from Split GPG1 to Split GPG2?

cubit

Oct 4, 2016, 10:09:49 AM10/4/16
to Qubes Users
Hello

I am using an older version of Enigmail as during the time Split GPG and enigmail did not seem to work well together.  Enigmail expecting gpg2 while split gpg on qubes was offering gpg1.

If I want to upgrade my enigmail to the latest is there anything I need to do to the split GPG set up or should it all just talk GPG2 now?

Andrew David Wong

Oct 4, 2016, 1:58:35 PM10/4/16
to cubit, Qubes Users

cubit

Oct 4, 2016, 3:40:57 PM10/4/16
to Andrew David Wong, Qubes Users
4. Oct 2016 17:58 by a...@qubes-os.org:
On 2016-10-04 07:09, cubit wrote:
I am using an older version of Enigmail as during the time Split GPG and enigmail did not seem to work well together. Enigmail expecting gpg2 while split gpg on qubes was offering gpg1.

If I want to upgrade my enigmail to the latest is there anything I need to do to the split GPG set up or should it all just talk GPG2 now?

Yes, Qubes Split GPG uses gpg2 by default in the backend now.

I upgraded enigmail to v 1.9.5 and it did not go as well as planned.   From what I read of the qubes documents there were nothing to change in qubes settings to take into account the GnuPG2 requrement now.

But when I run thunderbird 45.2.0 + enigmail 1.9.5 I get the following error.

   " GnuPG reported an error in the communication with gpg-agent (a component of GnuPG).

    This is a system setup or configuration error that prevents Enigmail from working properly and cannot be fixed automatically.

    We strongly recommend that you consult our support web site at https://enigmail.net/faq."

The messages decrypt but I lose the notification that the email was decrypted and I do not see any of the options to view details of the encrypted message such like who it was encrypted for.     I did restart both the appVM for thunderbird and the appVM for my keys, both debian 8

cubit

Oct 9, 2016, 11:17:53 AM10/9/16
to Andrew David Wong, Qubes Users
4. Oct 2016 19:40 by cu...@tutanota.com:

I upgraded enigmail to v 1.9.5 and it did not go as well as planned.   From what I read of the qubes documents there were nothing to change in qubes settings to take into account the GnuPG2 requrement now.

But when I run thunderbird 45.2.0 + enigmail 1.9.5 I get the following error.

   " GnuPG reported an error in the communication with gpg-agent (a component of GnuPG).

    This is a system setup or configuration error that prevents Enigmail from working properly and cannot be fixed automatically.

    We strongly recommend that you consult our support web site at https://enigmail.net/faq."

The messages decrypt but I lose the notification that the email was decrypted and I do not see any of the options to view details of the encrypted message such like who it was encrypted for.     I did restart both the appVM for thunderbird and the appVM for my keys, both debian 8

Hello qubers,

Has anyone experienced problems with using Splig GPG with Thunderbird and Enigmail 1.9.5 in Debian 8 appVM?       Have also tried to build the AppVM and TB install from scratch instead of simpli upgrading enigmail with existing AppVM.   When ever I try I get the above error. when checking encrypted email.

Cubit

cubit

Oct 21, 2016, 12:15:59 PM10/21/16
to Qubes Users
9. Oct 2016 15:17 by cu...@tutanota.com:

Has anyone experienced problems with using Splig GPG with Thunderbird and Enigmail 1.9.5 in Debian 8 appVM?       Have also tried to build the AppVM and TB install from scratch instead of simpli upgrading enigmail with existing AppVM.   When ever I try I get the above error. when checking encrypted email.

Sorry for bumping but hoping someone knows a solution for this?

george

Nov 16, 2016, 10:21:33 PM11/16/16
to qubes-users, a...@qubes-os.org, cu...@tutanota.com
Yes. I get the same issue too. I can read the message, but I can't write, and I'm also in Debian-8 VM on Qubes 3.2, with Enigmail and Thunderbird. I can READ messages, but I can't send them, nor verify/encrypt/sign them. I'm not sure what to do with this...

dmoe...@gmail.com

Nov 17, 2016, 10:33:57 AM11/17/16
On Wednesday, November 16, 2016 at 10:21:33 PM UTC-5, george wrote:
> Yes. I get the same issue too. I can read the message, but I can't write, and I'm also in Debian-8 VM on Qubes 3.2, with Enigmail and Thunderbird. I can READ messages, but I can't send them, nor verify/encrypt/sign them. I'm not sure what to do with this...

Hi,

What template are you using for the gpg VM?

As far as I can tell, gpg2 always requires access to gpg-agent, even if your keys have no passphrase. I realized this was the problem when running "echo test | gpg2 -v --clearsign" in a terminal in the gpg VM always failed. Switching from a modified fedora23-minimal to a full fedora23 template solved the problem for me. If you're also using a debian-8 template for the gpg VM, it might be missing the same thing that fedora23-minimal was missing. (Which I never figured out because I needed to get enigmail working.)

Best,
Daniel

cubit

Nov 17, 2016, 1:05:51 PM11/17/16
to dmoe...@gmail.com, qubes-users, a...@qubes-os.org
17. Nov 2016 15:33 by dmoe...@gmail.com:
On Wednesday, November 16, 2016 at 10:21:33 PM UTC-5, george wrote:
Yes. I get the same issue too. I can read the message, but I can't write, and I'm also in Debian-8 VM on Qubes 3.2, with Enigmail and Thunderbird. I can READ messages, but I can't send them, nor verify/encrypt/sign them. I'm not sure what to do with this...

What template are you using for the gpg VM?

For me both my vault VM and thunderbird VM are sharing the same Debian 8 template.   This template does have gnupg-agent 2.0.26-6+deb8u1  installed

Andrew David Wong

Nov 19, 2016, 6:44:10 AM11/19/16
to cubit, dmoe...@gmail.com, qubes-users

Daniel Moerner

Nov 19, 2016, 12:05:33 PM11/19/16
to Andrew David Wong, cubit, qubes-users

Andrew David Wong

Nov 20, 2016, 12:11:32 AM11/20/16
to cubit, dmoe...@gmail.com, qubes-users

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Nov 20, 2016, 6:42:04 AM11/20/16
to Andrew David Wong, cubit, dmoe...@gmail.com, qubes-users

entr0py

Nov 20, 2016, 7:07:34 PM11/20/16
to Marek Marczykowski-Górecki, Andrew David Wong, cubit, dmoe...@gmail.com, qubes-users
Marek Marczykowski-Górecki:
> On Sat, Nov 19, 2016 at 09:11:21PM -0800, Andrew David Wong wrote:

>>> Sorry, this is a known issue. Enigmail 1.9 is incompatible with Split GPG on Debian 8:
>>>
>>> https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/2170
>>>
>>> Until this is resolved, I recommend using the Fedora template instead.
>>>

>> Update: 3n7r0p1 has pointed out that this is not an issue, since Enigmail 1.9 is not contained in the Debian 8 repos to begin with.
>
> Isn't it possible to install enigmail directly from thunderbird/icedove?
> That would result in the most recent version.

Marek is correct.

When installed from the repo, enigmail updates are disabled. However, newer versions can be installed through the addons manager and such versions can also be updated via that method.

Issue should be re-opened or docs should advise Debian users to install via apt-get (not a bad practice anyway).
Message has been deleted

Andrew David Wong

Nov 21, 2016, 7:30:26 PM11/21/16
to Marek Marczykowski-Górecki, cubit, dmoe...@gmail.com, qubes-users