QVM Manager restart fails periodically

cubit

Oct 4, 2016, 7:38:44 AM10/4/16
to Qubes Users
Hello

I am testing the new "restart" feature in the Qubes VM Manager and noticing that it is a bit buggy.   There is one piece of the puzzle however that I can not figure out allowing me to replicate it consistently or narrow down why it fail some times

The first time I  select a VM and press "restart"  after an indeterminate time frame the restart will fail with the error below.   If I try and restart any number of other vm immediately after they will all restart ok.

error:

  ---
  line: assert not vm.is_running()
  func: start_vm
  line no.: 1158
  file: /usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/qubesmanager/main.py
  ----
  line: self.caller.start_vm(vm)
  func: check_if_vm_has_shutdown
  line no.: 288
  file: /usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/qubesmanager/main.py

cubit

Andrew David Wong

Oct 4, 2016, 8:31:20 AM10/4/16
to cubit, Qubes Users

cubit

Oct 4, 2016, 9:49:15 AM10/4/16
to Andrew David Wong, Qubes Users
4. Oct 2016 12:31 by a...@qubes-os.org:

Some unscientific testing.

Trying a restart after 15 minutes of not doing a restart and the function works as expected

Trying a restart after 50 minutes of not doing a restart and the function fails the first time with the error as mentioned previously.

Jeremy Rand

Oct 4, 2016, 12:04:36 PM10/4/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
cubit:
I can confirm that I encountered this today. It was with a VM that had
been running for several days. I've encountered the same error (or one
similar to it) in the past when trying to shut down a VM that takes a
long time -- Qubes Manager asks me if I want to kill it, and if I say
yes, sometimes there's some apparent race condition and the error comes
up (I guess because the VM finished shutting down right before Qubes
Manager tried to kill it).

Cheers,
-Jeremy

signature.asc

cubit

Oct 4, 2016, 12:13:38 PM10/4/16
to jer...@veclabs.net, qubes...@googlegroups.com
4. Oct 2016 16:04 by jerem...@airmail.cc:

I can confirm that I encountered this today. It was with a VM that had
been running for several days. I've encountered the same error (or one
similar to it) in the past when trying to shut down a VM that takes a
long time -- Qubes Manager asks me if I want to kill it, and if I say
yes, sometimes there's some apparent race condition and the error comes
up (I guess because the VM finished shutting down right before Qubes
Manager tried to kill it).

For mich I do not see any request to kill the AppVM and the uptime of the VM is very low. for example 50 minutes when I was testing the function to try and get it to error.

raah...@gmail.com

Oct 4, 2016, 2:38:53 PM10/4/16
to qubes-users, jer...@veclabs.net, cu...@tutanota.com
happened to me a couple times, when I tried to restart sys-usb and shut down sys-net at the same time. Sys-usb would fail to start ask me to kill it, saying there is a possible bug in qubes manager.

Now I just wait for sys-net to fully shutdown, wait a sec and then restart sys-usb and haven't had the issue.

Jeremy Rand

Oct 4, 2016, 3:03:41 PM10/4/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
raah...@gmail.com:
Yes -- like a lot of race conditions, it happens more often when the
system is under heavy load. I see this behavior more often when
starting/stopping multiple VM's at once, or when the system is otherwise
under heavy CPU or I/O load.

Cheers,
-Jeremy

signature.asc