Network hardware not recognized in Debian-based NetVM

Joshua Bashir Gabriel

Jan 11, 2017, 5:18:56 PM1/11/17
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

Although the default NetVM in Qubes is based on Fedora, I wanted to be able to use NetworkManager 1.4.2 to automatically spoof my MAC address when connecting to networks. In order to do this, I followed the instructions here:

I created a new template for Debian 9 as instructed, then created a new NetVM from that template and added the Network Connections app to it, as well as my WiFi adapter (under the Devices tab).

However, the Debian-based NetVM will not see the hardware. The Fedora-based NetVM can see it fine, but when I power that down and power up the Debian-based VM, no such luck.

I am running Qubes 3.2 with all the latest updates applied. This email was sent from a Firefox session inside a disposable VM, so I know using the Fedora-based NetVM works. I also created additonal NetVMs based on Fedora, Debian 8, and Debian 9. The Debian-based NetVMs do not see my WiFi card. The Fedora-based NetVM does.

Any advice would be very appreciated.

Thanks,
Bash

Andrew David Wong

Jan 11, 2017, 5:26:36 PM1/11/17
to Joshua Bashir Gabriel, qubes...@googlegroups.com

Joshua Bashir Gabriel

Jan 17, 2017, 6:50:03 PM1/17/17
to Andrew David Wong, qubes...@googlegroups.com
Update: Got it working. It needed the wifi drivers for Debian 8/9, as well as a couple of other utilities, found here: https://wiki.debian.org/WiFi.

Also, I added the client for PrivateInternetAccess.com to the Net VM so I have a single netvm with always-on VPN.

Cheers,
Bash

Chris Laprise

Jan 18, 2017, 3:58:24 PM1/18/17
to Joshua Bashir Gabriel, Andrew David Wong, qubes...@googlegroups.com
On 01/17/2017 06:49 PM, 'Joshua Bashir Gabriel' via qubes-users wrote:
> Update: Got it working. It needed the wifi drivers for Debian 8/9, as
> well as a couple of other utilities, found here:
> https://wiki.debian.org/WiFi.
>
> Also, I added the client for PrivateInternetAccess.com to the Net VM
> so I have a single netvm with always-on VPN.
>

> Cheers,
> Bash
> --

Just FYI, configuring VPN in sys-net is not recommended because NetVMs
are generally untrusted. Its better to configure a proxyVM to manage VPN
connections.

Also, those vendor-supplied packages are not usually equipped to block
leaks in a Qubes network environment (i.e. where the VPN client
essentially runs in an isolated 'router'); They are designed to block
leaks originating with locally-running apps, so their assurances of
stopping leaks probably won't hold in Qubes.

For a secure Qubes configuration, see
https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/vpn/#set-up-a-proxyvm-as-a-vpn-gateway-using-iptables-and-cli-scripts

Chris