HCL - Latitude E6230

Michael McShane

Jun 2, 2018, 1:47:26 AM6/2/18
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
AEM was a difficult only because I had a 128gb SSD but it configured anyway. Everything just works.
Mike
Qubes-HCL-Dell_Inc_-Latitude_E6230-20180601-222042.yml
Qubes-HCL-Dell_Inc_-Latitude_E6230-20180601-224148.cpio.gz

cany...@gmail.com

Nov 17, 2019, 4:29:35 PM11/17/19
to qubes-users
Mike,

I'm just starting to attempt loading Qubes4.8 onto a Dell Latitude E6230.  It installs up to the point where it reboots onto the disk install, and continues building the qube VMs.  At that point, it eventually hangs .. apparently while configuring the network.  I think there may be an issue in detecting the network device.  Did you have any difficulties during your install?

Kaleb
Message has been deleted

Kaleb C Tilley

May 7, 2020, 9:36:21 AM5/7/20
to qubes-users
rkd777,

I'm beginning to think that the embedded NIC for the system I purchased doesn't match the embedded link used to verify this architecture as valid for the QubesOS.  I feel as if I've wasted my money on this one .. oh well .. :-(

Kaleb

Age doesn't always bring Wisdom...
... Sometimes Age comes alone.

On Wed, May 6, 2020 at 7:56 PM <rkd...@gmail.com> wrote:

I am hanging at network as well...any advice appreciated

Message has been deleted

rkd...@gmail.com

May 10, 2020, 7:47:20 PM5/10/20
to qubes-users

Kaleb

To follow-up for you and others, here is the order I did things:

Disable Wireless card and Secure Boot in BIOS
Use the Ethernet port to install
All will setup and work perfect
Using links below I downloaded b43-fwcutter and wget packages into sys-net VM and followed the Fedora instructions to extract the firmware files from the chip into /lib/firmware/b43
When you reboot the VM these files will be lost unless you use qvm-copy-to-vm command to copy them to the Fedora TemplateVM
Then I cloned sys-net VM to sys-net2 VM
Reenable the WiFI card in BIOS
In Devices section of VM settings make sure Ethernet card is removed and *don't* try adding WiFi card here as it needs the --permissive option below
In dom0 I used      qvm-pci a sys-net2 dom0:02_00.0 --persistent -o permissive=true     to have that VM use the WiFi card
Once the VM sees the firmware files in /lib/firmware/b43 and the --permissive is set and persistent sys-net2 should up working
Now you can just change the sys-firewall settings to use either sys-net or sys-net2 and you always have a fallback to Ethernet again

On Saturday, May 9, 2020 at 11:50:59 PM UTC+1, rkd...@gmail.com wrote:

Kaleb

Here's what I have done so far and should get you started down the right road while I figure out the rest.

Disable Wireless card and Secure Boot in BIOS
Use the Ethernet port to install
All is setup and works perfect this way and allows you to install and upgrade needed packages later
Update all the qubes and the system
I plan to backup the state it's in before continuing

I haven't completed this yet but I've figured out a lot of it
The wireless can now be reenabled in BIOS
It must be attached to the correct qube (internet qube) with the qvm-pci command (it seems to need the --permissive setting when doing this)
My chip is the Broadcom BCM43228
From what I can tell so far it may need the firmware files to be added to /lib/firmware/
And the b43 driver
Folllow these links:
You should be close to getting it sorted with that info although I haven't got there yet,

On Saturday, June 2, 2018 at 1:47:26 AM UTC-4, Michael McShane wrote:
AEM was a difficult only because I had a 128gb SSD but it configured anyway. Everything just works.
Mike

Catacombs

May 10, 2020, 9:00:49 PM5/10/20
to qubes-users
“Install hanging at Network “

My install stopped a really long too at ‘Network’. It finished though and works. I have error messages during boot. Which I should probably search out. But Linux usually has messages that refer to hardware I do not have.

Installing wireless software modules, firmware can be challenging. I am trying to find a USB Wireless Dongle which comes pre installed in the Kernel. But.

dhorf-hfre...@hashmail.org

May 11, 2020, 3:50:51 AM5/11/20
to Catacombs, qubes-users
On Sun, May 10, 2020 at 06:00:49PM -0700, Catacombs wrote:
> am trying to find a USB Wireless Dongle which comes pre installed in
> the Kernel. But.

there is only exactly _one_ wifi usb dongle that is documented to
work with qvm-usb (aka linux usbip) _and_ has a driver included
in mainline kernel:

ID 7392:7811 Edimax Technology Co., Ltd EW-7811Un 802.11n Wireless
Adapter [Realtek RTL8188CUS]
Driver=rtl8192cu, 480M
https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B003MTTJOY
2.4 GHz only, very compact, 8eur, mainline driver

other usb network devices that work with qvm-usb can be found here: