How to get Yeti USB mic working with QUBES..?

danmich...@gmail.com

Jul 9, 2016, 8:54:53 AM7/9/16
to qubes-users
I have a Blue Mic Yeti and am trying to get it working with QUBES.

I tried attaching audio to a VM, but it didn't work.

I need a simple step-by-step guide for how to use a USB mic with QUBES.

The mic is plug-and-play, and requires no installation, both in Linux and in Windows.

Niels Kobschätzki

Jul 9, 2016, 1:12:08 PM7/9/16
to danmich...@gmail.com, qubes-users

On Jul 9, 2016 14:55, danmich...@gmail.com wrote:

> I have a Blue Mic Yeti and am trying to get it working with QUBES.
>
> I tried attaching audio to a VM, but it didn't work.
>
> I need a simple step-by-step guide for how to use a USB mic with QUBES.

You have to create an AppVM with at least one USB-controller assigned. And there you can the mic. With 3.2 RC1 you can pass through a device directly from a USB-Qube to another AppVM (not working for my webcam though)

I have one AppVM that has one controller assigned that I use for everything where I need certain USB-devices.

Documentation:
https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/usb/
https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/assigning-devices/

Niels

danmich...@gmail.com

Jul 11, 2016, 3:43:42 PM7/11/16
to qubes-users, danmich...@gmail.com
So.... I'm having a really hard time assigning USB devices.

Here is what happens with the Yeti mic.

I am in QUBES 3.2

When I plug in the mic, it actually immediately shows up in the audio mixer, under "capture devices".. I also see it in Pulse audio manager.

The question is then just how to get the device to be useable inside of a VM.

It seems like it has more to do with passing input audio to the qube, rather than even the USB device... but I could be wrong.

Does anyone have any idea...?

This is important, because I can get everything else working in QUBES.. but if I have no audio... then I can't do Skype etc.

danmich...@gmail.com

Jul 11, 2016, 3:51:30 PM7/11/16
to qubes-users, danmich...@gmail.com
OK. I solved it.

Here... Marek Marczykowski-Górecki points out that you can do this in pavucontrol.

The solution is to go to dom0 Konsole, and type:

pavucontrol

From here, you can choose which VM has which sound input.

Done.

Franz

Jul 11, 2016, 4:11:33 PM7/11/16
to Niels Kobschätzki, danmich...@gmail.com, qubes-users
On Sat, Jul 9, 2016 at 2:12 PM, Niels Kobschätzki <ni...@kobschaetzki.net> wrote:

On Jul 9, 2016 14:55, danmich...@gmail.com wrote:

> I have a Blue Mic Yeti and am trying to get it working with QUBES.
>
> I tried attaching audio to a VM, but it didn't work.
>
> I need a simple step-by-step guide for how to use a USB mic with QUBES.

You have to create an AppVM with at least one USB-controller assigned. And there you can the mic. With 3.2 RC1 you can pass through a device directly from a USB-Qube to another AppVM (not working for my webcam though)

This works only for block devices and I understand that a webcam and a mic are NOT block devices. So the only way is to put them on a VM to which the USB controller is assigned.

If there are not security issues because nothing confidential is received by your mic  it may be possible to record in sys-usb VM to which the USB controller is default assigned.

Best
Fran

I have one AppVM that has one controller assigned that I use for everything where I need certain USB-devices.

Documentation:
https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/usb/
https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/assigning-devices/

Niels

Franz

Jul 12, 2016, 1:06:45 PM7/12/16
to danmich...@gmail.com, qubes-users
@danmichaels
may you please briefly describe what you did in practice?
Best
Fran