New qubes user question/issue: firewall VM consuming unexpected amount of RAM

已查看 67 次
跳至第一个未读帖子

Jane Jok

未读,
2016年6月18日 17:01:162016/6/18
收件人 qubes-users
Hello!
I'm new to Qubes, but I did a fair stab at reading the docs and googling for stuff about firewall-vm

My question is thus:
is it normal for Firewall VM consume 1.5-1.8 GB RAM (after clean install, this is my first startup) ?

is there a way to reduce RAM consumption?
 (I have just 4 GB ram on this box, and spending 1.5 GB on nothing but a firewall is a bit... unpleasant)

J. Eppler

未读,
2016年6月18日 18:29:252016/6/18
收件人 qubes-users
Hello,

all VM's in Qubes consume a large amount of memory by default. You can restrict your firewall VM to 1 GB or less.
You can restrict the memory consummtion under 'Right click -> VM Settings -> Advanced' to Max. Memory ~1024 MB or less.

There is also a Unikernel solution. Unikernels are special purpose operating systems. Thomas Leonard created a Unikernel firewall for Qubes OS which runs perfectly fine with 30 MB of RAM.

You will find resources on how to do it here:
https://github.com/talex5/qubes-mirage-firewall
http://roscidus.com/blog/blog/2016/01/01/a-unikernel-firewall-for-qubesos/

Best regards
  J. Eppler

Alex

未读,
2016年6月18日 18:34:032016/6/18
收件人 Jane Jok、qubes-users
Certainly doesn't sound normal. Is this consistent, or did the next reboot return RAM usage to normal levels? In latter case I'd open a terminal in the firewallVM and use top -sc to see what's consuming all this memory.

Andrew David Wong

未读,
2016年6月19日 09:54:072016/6/19
收件人 Jane Jok、qubes-users

Jane Jok

未读,
2016年6月20日 11:33:312016/6/20
收件人 qubes-users、summo...@gmail.com

Thank you Andrew!
It looks like it was indeed a memory balancing thing, so no reason for concern, I guess.

Franz

未读,
2016年6月20日 11:55:522016/6/20
收件人 J. Eppler、qubes-users
Seems interesting thanks, sometimes I wondered if there was any way to reduce the burden to have all these sysVMs always working.

But for most people, me included, changing a firewall without fully understanding it may be dangerous.  We are dealing with some core element of Qubes security.

So better to wait for some official, pre-installed and supported version of it, if any.
Best
Fran

回复全部
回复作者