Read-only file system in applVM

Franz

Oct 9, 2017, 8:48:03 AM10/9/17
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

Trying to save a long document I got an error.

So tried to open a new document to copy there the content of the older. But it gives an error: read only file system.

Any idea why this applVM now decided to be a read only file system? and if  is there a fix other than rebooting?
Best
Fran

Chris Laprise

Oct 9, 2017, 8:36:25 PM10/9/17
to Franz, qubes...@googlegroups.com
It probably means there is a logical inconsistency (corruption) in that
filesystem, or it filled-up. You can avoid the latter by expanding the
Private storage max size in the VM's settings.

--

Chris Laprise, tas...@posteo.net
https://twitter.com/ttaskett

Franz

Oct 10, 2017, 2:31:05 AM10/10/17
to Chris Laprise, qubes...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Oct 9, 2017 at 9:36 PM, Chris Laprise <tas...@posteo.net> wrote:
On 10/09/2017 08:48 AM, Franz wrote:
Hello,

Trying to save a long document I got an error.

So tried to open a new document to copy there the content of the older. But it gives an error: read only file system.

Any idea why this applVM now decided to be a read only file system? and if  is there a fix other than rebooting?
Best
Fran

It probably means there is a logical inconsistency (corruption) in that filesystem, or it filled-up. You can avoid the latter by expanding the Private storage max size in the VM's settings.

It should be corruption, because there is plenty of space.

Anyway I had to reboot and after that it worked again even if an alert of Python not working appears.

Is there some way to fix corruption cases?
Best
fran

Chris Laprise

Oct 10, 2017, 1:18:14 PM10/10/17
On 10/10/2017 02:31 AM, Franz wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 9, 2017 at 9:36 PM, Chris Laprise <tas...@posteo.net
> <mailto:tas...@posteo.net>> wrote:
>
> On 10/09/2017 08:48 AM, Franz wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> Trying to save a long document I got an error.
>
> So tried to open a new document to copy there the content of
> the older. But it gives an error: read only file system.
>
> Any idea why this applVM now decided to be a read only file
> system? and if  is there a fix other than rebooting?
> Best
> Fran
>

> It probably means there is a logical inconsistency (corruption) in
> that filesystem, or it filled-up. You can avoid the latter by
> expanding the Private storage max size in the VM's settings.
>

> It should be corruption, because there is plenty of space.
>
> Anyway I had to reboot and after that it worked again even if an alert
> of Python not working appears.
>
> Is there some way to fix corruption cases?
> Best
> fran

Using 'fsck' on it might fix it. Before doing that, you may have to
re-mount the volume as read-only; or you could use qvm-block to attach
the private.img to a dispVM and then run fsck /dev/xvdi .

Franz

Oct 11, 2017, 11:00:40 AM10/11/17
to Chris Laprise, qubes...@googlegroups.com
The second seems easier, but the same I am confused. Is there a tutorial somewhere?
Best
Fran

Chris Laprise

Oct 11, 2017, 4:05:22 PM10/11/17
On 10/11/2017 11:00 AM, Franz wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 10, 2017 at 2:18 PM, Chris Laprise <tas...@posteo.net
> <mailto:tas...@posteo.net>> wrote:
>
> On 10/10/2017 02:31 AM, Franz wrote:
>

> On Mon, Oct 9, 2017 at 9:36 PM, Chris Laprise
> <tas...@posteo.net <mailto:tas...@posteo.net>
I can explain the steps. You may wish to backup your appVM before
continuing.

1. Start a dispVM (I'll call it disp1). Your appVM should not be running.

2. In dom0 run 'qvm-block -A /var/lib/qubes/appvms/yourappvm/private.img'
Substitute 'yourappvm' in above command with the name of your appVM.

3. In disp1 run 'sudo fsck /dev/xvdi'

After fsck finishes you can shutdown disp1 and try to use your appVM. Or
you can also use disp1 to explore the disk volume and copy data out of
it (e.g. 'sudo mount /dev/xvdi /somedir; qvm-copy destvm
/somedir/somefile').

Chris Laprise

Oct 11, 2017, 4:08:18 PM10/11/17
to Franz, qubes...@googlegroups.com
Correction: This command should be 'qvm-block -A disp1
dom0:/var/lib/qubes/appvms/yourappvm/private.img'

Franz

Oct 12, 2017, 5:27:27 AM10/12/17
to Chris Laprise, qubes...@googlegroups.com
Many thanks, it seems easy enough. I ordered some backup medium to backup everything before trying.
Best
Fran

--

Chris Laprise, tas...@posteo.net
https://twitter.com/ttaskett
PGP: BEE2 20C5 356E 764A 73EB  4AB3 1DC4 D106 F07F 1886

Foppe de Haan

Oct 12, 2017, 6:42:05 AM10/12/17
to qubes-users
> PGP: BEE2 20C5 356E 764A 73EB 4AB3 1DC4 D106 F07F 1886

just for my information: why not just run that from dom0 directly (e.g. sudo fsck /var/lib/qubes/appvms/bla/bla.img)? is there a security risk involved with the invocation of fsck?

Chris Laprise

Oct 12, 2017, 10:12:12 PM10/12/17
to Foppe de Haan, qubes-users
Actually, yes there is a risk.

Foppe de Haan

Oct 16, 2017, 6:36:29 AM10/16/17
to qubes-users

btw, when I try this (qvm-block method) in R4.0-rc1, I get 'backend vm 'dom0' doesn't expose device '/var/lib/qubes/etc/etc.img'.