Yubikey and qubes-usb-proxy

John Maher

Sep 20, 2017, 8:46:56 AM9/20/17
to qubes-users
I've been trying to get my Yubikey to attach to my gpg qube by doing the following:

[dom0 ~]$ qvm-usb -a gpg `qvm-usb | grep Yubikey | cut -f1`

but I'm presented with:

ERROR: qubes-usb-proxy not installed in the VM

But that package is installed in the VM (in the template).

I got this to work fine on my laptop but not on my desktop.

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks.

John

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Sep 21, 2017, 2:23:18 PM9/21/17
to John Maher, qubes-users

John Maher

Sep 22, 2017, 8:08:48 AM9/22/17
to qubes-users
Thank you, Marek. I now believe I'm confused about sys-usb. I have no sys-usb VM in either my desktop or my laptop (both 3.2) displayed in the Qubes VM Manager, but I remember selecting sys-usb during the installations. In terms of behavior, both my systems require that I attach a USB drive to a particular qube after inserting the drive. Doesn't that mean I have a USB qube (sys-usb)?

So, I don't know how I would install qubes-usb-proxy when I can't see sys-usb.

John

Franz

Sep 22, 2017, 10:08:30 AM9/22/17
to John Maher, qubes-users
qvm-ls will list all installed VMs so you can check if sys-usb exists
best
Fran

John

John Maher

Sep 22, 2017, 1:06:03 PM9/22/17
to qubes-users
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to qubes-users...@googlegroups.com.

> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/qubes-users/dc559bd3-0947-4350-8a86-5863f5fb93ed%40googlegroups.com.

Francesco, thanks. That helps. My confusion continues to be high, but I guess mostly because I thought my computer had a USB qube because of it's behavior. Like I said, I can attach my Yubikey to one Qubes computer but not another. It's likely that I installed them slightly different from each other.

I vaguely remember checking a "sys-usb" box during installation of both, but the laptop (installed most recently) I think I also check a box that referenced an experimental feature.

Perhaps I just need to install a USB qube on my desktop, but clearly I don't have one on my laptop, and attaching the Yubikey works there.

John

John Maher

Sep 22, 2017, 1:21:36 PM9/22/17
to qubes-users
One thing that might be useful is the difference between my desktop and my laptop when I run qvm-usb (with the Yubikey plugged in).

Desktop:
--------------
$ qvm-usb
dom0:7-5 1050:0407 Yubico_Yubikey_4_OTP+U2F+CCID

Laptop:
--------------
$ qvm-usb
sys-net:2-3 1050:0407 Yubico_Yubikey_4_OTP+U2F+CCID

Might the dom0 vs sys-net indicate an important configuration difference?

Franz

Sep 22, 2017, 3:49:24 PM9/22/17
to John Maher, qubes-users
Here the USB controller is assigned to dom0 which is what Qubes tries to avoid for security reasons. So yes you need a USB qube here

Laptop:
$ qvm-usb
sys-net:2-3  1050:0407 Yubico_Yubikey_4_OTP+U2F+CCID

Here the USB controller is assigned to sys-net, which may work as a USB Qubes, specially for machines that to not have enough RAM to support an independent sys-usb.

Might the dom0 vs sys-net indicate an important configuration difference?

John Maher

Sep 22, 2017, 4:15:21 PM9/22/17
to qubes-users
Fran, this is so helpful. Thank you very much.

John