Error: VM Kernel does not exist:

cooloutac

Apr 18, 2017, 6:54:58 PM4/18/17
to qubes-users
I can't update one of the templates or start half the vms. After I did a dom0 update. What happened?

cooloutac

Apr 18, 2017, 6:55:31 PM4/18/17
to qubes-users
On Tuesday, April 18, 2017 at 6:54:58 PM UTC-4, cooloutac wrote:
> I can't update one of the templates or start half the vms. After I did a dom0 update. What happened?

Error: VM Kernel does not exist: /var/lib/qubes/vm-kernels/4.4.14-11/vmlinuz

cooloutac

Apr 18, 2017, 7:08:40 PM4/18/17
to qubes-users

the default sys vms work fine. all the templates including a debian clone work fine. All the untrusted red templates work mysteriously.

But all my other appvms, and a fedora-24 cloned template have the error.
Anyone know how to fix this. This is pretty devastating and catastrophic imo. I don't have any repos enabled except current.

I rebooted twice, no help.

Andrew David Wong

Apr 18, 2017, 7:11:34 PM4/18/17
to cooloutac, qubes-users

cooloutac

Apr 18, 2017, 7:17:46 PM4/18/17
to qubes-users, raah...@gmail.com

oh tk goodness I was searching frantically and getting paranoid. I saw the kernel was removed and didn't know what to do. Thanks for prompt reply Andrew!!

cooloutac

Apr 18, 2017, 7:51:04 PM4/18/17
to qubes-users, raah...@gmail.com
a couple untrusted ones I created, the default dispvm, and anon-whonix were not affected.

So my 4 untrusted vms were not affected and what template they are based on seems not to matter. But every one of my other vms, all 15 of them, had the issue. Very strange.

cooloutac

Apr 18, 2017, 11:54:41 PM4/18/17
On Tuesday, April 18, 2017 at 7:51:04 PM UTC-4, cooloutac wrote:
> a couple untrusted ones I created, the default dispvm, and anon-whonix were not affected.
>
> So my 4 untrusted vms were not affected and what template they are based on seems not to matter. But every one of my other vms, all 15 of them, had the issue. Very strange.

maybe I should of done the new Tor dom0 update? haha

Markus Kilås

Apr 21, 2017, 2:33:17 AM4/21/17
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
On 04/19/2017 01:11 AM, Andrew David Wong wrote:

> On 2017-04-18 16:08, cooloutac wrote:
>>>
>>> Error: VM Kernel does not exist: /var/lib/qubes/vm-kernels/4.4.14-11/vmlinuz
>>
>> the default sys vms work fine. all the templates including a debian clone work fine. All the untrusted red templates work mysteriously.
>>
>> But all my other appvms, and a fedora-24 cloned template have the error.
>> Anyone know how to fix this. This is pretty devastating and catastrophic imo. I don't have any repos enabled except current.
>>
>> I rebooted twice, no help.
>>

> Known bug: https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/2757
>
> Workaround (in dom0):
>
> $ for VM in `qvm-ls --raw-list`; do qvm-prefs -s $VM kernel default; done

I used the following workaround/fix before I saw the above:
1. For each affected VM, go into VM Settings -> Advanced and switch
Kernel from "default (4.4.55-11)" to "4.4.55-11" and click OK.
2. Then go back in again and switch back to "default (4.4.55-1) and
click OK.
Now it works again.

Cheers,
Markus

Franz

Apr 21, 2017, 8:23:28 AM4/21/17
to Markus Kilås, qubes...@googlegroups.com
Interesting.  this workaround:

$ for VM in `qvm-ls --raw-list`; do qvm-prefs -s $VM kernel default; done
did NOT work for me. I got the same error.

But what Markus is suggesting does work.
Best
Fran

Cheers,
Markus

wordsw...@gmail.com

Aug 31, 2017, 12:03:39 PM8/31/17
to qubes-users, raah...@gmail.com

> Known bug: https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/2757
>
> Workaround (in dom0):
>
> $ for VM in `qvm-ls --raw-list`; do qvm-prefs -s $VM kernel default; done

The recent dom0 update caused this issue for me again (I've had it before), and it was quickly fixed by the command above.