Command to open VMs in respective XFCE panel workplaces

Franz

Nov 8, 2016, 12:58:26 PM11/8/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
I installed V3.2  and started to play with the XFCE environment (very nice, many thanks to developers)

It seems that if you open many VMs and many applications they are not grouped per VMs as with KDE, but are all randomly mixed together, so the panel is messy.

Found that the 4 workplaces on the panel can help to put some order manually dedicating a worplace to each VM. That is good!

I know how to start VM and applications from dom0 and have a script that does that. But is it possible to modify the script to tell for example that firefox of work VM should go into worplace 3 ?

Of course the purpose of all that is to automate the starting of Qubes putting the more used applications each in its proper worplace.

But of course there may be other way of which I am unaware to put some order on the panel.

Best
Fran

Franz

Nov 8, 2016, 10:06:57 PM11/8/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
I found a solution with wmctrl -s <n> where n is the number of the workplace.  wmctrl  is default installed in dom0:

qvm-start personal
sleep 3
wmctrl -s 1
qvm-run personal nautilus
qvm-run personal firefox
qvm-start work
sleep 3
wmctrl -s 2
qvm-run work nautilus
qvm-run work firefox
etc.

If you put this in a script it will separate VMs each in its workplace with a nice order.
Best
Fran