HCL Dell Latitude 7400 (Core i5-8365U Whiskey Lake)

Daniel Moerner

Jan 4, 2020, 5:13:20 PM1/4/20
to qubes-users
I recently got a Latitude 7400 from my employer, a perfect replacement
for my 3rd gen X1 Carbon which died four days before the end of 2019.
Looking forward to finally using Qubes with more than 8 GB of RAM.

It works pretty flawlessly with Qubes R4.0.2 after making three
changes: (Still have a lot of fan usage with a pretty loud fan, but
that's Qubes for you.)

1. To boot the installer, you need to remove mapbs=1 and noexitboot=1
(https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/uefi-troubleshooting/#installation-freezes-before-displaying-installer).

2. To get suspend to work, you need to add mem_sleep_default=deep to
the kernel= line in /boot/efi/EFI/qubes/xen.cfg. Otherwise it tries to
use s2idle which does not work with Xen. (cf.
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/qubes-users/w6Jq4j79Eeo)

3. With the 4.19 kernel, it would not complete shutdown without
holding down the power button, and I also didn't get a bootsplash for
the encrypted hard drive. Both of these are fixed with the 5.3.11
kernel in kernel-latest.

Remember that for a machine like this there's some sort of Intel RAID
thing you need to disable in the BIOS for Qubes to find the NVMe disk.

Best,
Daniel
Qubes-HCL-Dell_Inc_-Latitude_7400-20200104-170122.yml