Help verifying install files: how to verify the Release 3 Signing Key?

Kyle Breneman

Jan 1, 2018, 11:44:22 AM1/1/18
to qubes-users
I have successfully verified the fingerprint for the Qubes Master Signing Key. I have verified the Release 3 ISO signature using the Qubes Release 3 Signing Key. How do I verify that the Release 3 signing key is good? Do I somehow use the Qubes Master Signing Key to verify the authenticity of the Release 3 Signing Key? If so, please explain how to do this with gpg4win? Thanks!

Chris Laprise

Jan 1, 2018, 6:33:15 PM1/1/18
to Kyle Breneman, qubes-users
On 01/01/2018 11:44 AM, Kyle Breneman wrote:
> I have successfully verified the fingerprint for the Qubes Master Signing Key. I have verified the Release 3 ISO signature using the Qubes Release 3 Signing Key. How do I verify that the Release 3 signing key is good? Do I somehow use the Qubes Master Signing Key to verify the authenticity of the Release 3 Signing Key? If so, please explain how to do this with gpg4win? Thanks!

Hi Kyle,

After you import both the master and signing keys, you can check them
with 'gpg --check-sigs' which should have output like this:
> pub rsa4096 2017-03-06 [SC]
> 5817A43B283DE5A9181A522E1848792F9E2795E9
> uid [ unknown] Qubes OS Release 4 Signing Key
> sig!3 1848792F9E2795E9 2017-03-06 Qubes OS Release 4 Signing Key
> sig! DDFA1A3E36879494 2017-03-08 Qubes Master Signing Key

(I have the Qubes 4 key but its otherwise the same.)

This lists the Qubes master key under the uid for the Qubes release key,
showing the release key has been signed by the master. The exclamation
mark after "sig" means the signature has been verified as good.

--

Chris Laprise, tas...@posteo.net
https://github.com/tasket

Andrew David Wong

Jan 1, 2018, 6:58:53 PM1/1/18

On 2018-01-01 10:44, Kyle Breneman wrote:
> I have successfully verified the fingerprint for the Qubes Master
> Signing Key. I have verified the Release 3 ISO signature using
> the Qubes Release 3 Signing Key. How do I verify that the Release
> 3 signing key is good? Do I somehow use the Qubes Master Signing
> Key to verify the authenticity of the Release 3 Signing Key?

Yes. The Release 3 Signing Key is signed by the Qubes Master Signing
Key, and you can check this signature in order to verify that the
Release 3 Signing Key is authentic.

> If so, please explain how to do this with gpg4win? Thanks!

I don't use gpg4win, so I'm afraid I can't provide instructions for
that program. However, I can show you how to do it in GnuPG (on
Linux). Perhaps gpg4win has a way to accept GnuPG commands, or perhaps
this will help you search for the equivalent gpg4win instructions.

Here's how I'd do it in GnuPG:

======

$ gpg2 --check-signatures C52261BE0A823221D94CA1D1CB11CA1D03FA5082
pub rsa4096 2014-11-19 [SC]
C52261BE0A823221D94CA1D1CB11CA1D03FA5082
uid [ full ] Qubes OS Release 3 Signing Key
sig!3 CB11CA1D03FA5082 2014-11-19 Qubes OS Release 3 Signing Key
sig! DDFA1A3E36879494 2014-11-19 Qubes Master Signing Key

gpg: 2 good signatures

$ gpg2 --fingerprint DDFA1A3E36879494
pub rsa4096 2010-04-01 [SC]
427F 11FD 0FAA 4B08 0123 F01C DDFA 1A3E 3687 9494
uid [ultimate] Qubes Master Signing Key

======

First, we check the signatures on the Release 3 Signing Key and find
that there are two good signatures: one from the Release 3 Signing Key
itself and one from a key named "Qubes Master Signing Key." Since
anyone can create a key with this name, we then check that the full
fingerprint of the key claiming to be the Qubes Master Signing Key
matches the fingerprint we've obtained and verified through multiple
independent channels.

In this case, the signature check shows us the long-form ID of each
signing key, which is probably not easy to forge (much harder than the
short-form, at least), but it's still safer to check the full
fingerprint.

Since I've already set the trust level of the Qubes Master Signing Key
to "ultimate" in this keyring, the Release 3 Signing Key automatically
has a trust level of "full" (given the default trust model) because
it's signed by the Qubes Master Signing Key.

- --
Andrew David Wong (Axon)
Community Manager, Qubes OS
https://www.qubes-os.org

Unman

Jan 2, 2018, 8:24:07 PM1/2/18
On Mon, Jan 01, 2018 at 08:44:22AM -0800, Kyle Breneman wrote:
> I have successfully verified the fingerprint for the Qubes Master Signing Key. I have verified the Release 3 ISO signature using the Qubes Release 3 Signing Key. How do I verify that the Release 3 signing key is good? Do I somehow use the Qubes Master Signing Key to verify the authenticity of the Release 3 Signing Key? If so, please explain how to do this with gpg4win? Thanks!

In gpg4win you can do this by importing the certificates in kleopatra.
Then double-click on the R3 certificate to see the certificate details.
Go to the User-IDs and Certifications tab, click on "Obtain
authentications" and you should see that the R3 certificate is signed by
the Master Signing Key(certificate).

Kyle Breneman

Jan 6, 2018, 11:15:18 PM1/6/18
to Chris Laprise, qubes-users

After you import both the master and signing keys, you can check them with 'gpg --check-sigs' which should have output like this:
pub   rsa4096 2017-03-06 [SC]
      5817A43B283DE5A9181A522E184879
2F9E2795E9
uid           [ unknown] Qubes OS Release 4 Signing Key
sig!3        1848792F9E2795E9 2017-03-06  Qubes OS Release 4 Signing Key
sig!         DDFA1A3E36879494 2017-03-08  Qubes Master Signing Key

(I have the Qubes 4 key but its otherwise the same.)

This lists the Qubes master key under the uid for the Qubes release key, showing the release key has been signed by the master. The exclamation mark after "sig" means the signature has been verified as good.

​Dear Chris,

Th​anks very much for your patient help with this!  I was able to verify all keys and signatures and successfully installed Qubes 3.2 over the holidays.

Regards,
Kyle