HCL - Lenovo P14s (AMD Ryzen 7 Pro 4750U)

Josef Johansson

Mar 18, 2021, 4:54:51 AM3/18/21
to qubes-users
Fix reboots on suspend:
* activate Linux as type of OS in BIOS (enables S3 instead of S2idle)
* add acpi_sleep=nonvs in GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX in /etc/default/grub
* smt=on seems to help

Boot is a bit slow, but doing this after boot solves that, it's possible to set under GRUB_CMDLINE_XEN_DEFAULT with dom0_max_vcpus=2 dom0_vcpus_pin but it seems that vm get this as well.
* sudo xl vcpu-set Domain-0 2
* sudo xl vcpu-pin Domain-0 0 0
* sudo xl vcpu-pin Domain-0 1 1

Running Qubes R4.1 with kernel 5.11.4-1.fc32.qubes.x86_64 and linux-firmware 20210208-106
On install add console=vga=none dom0_max_vcpus=2 dom0_vcpus_pin to grub

Use Debian 11 for template VMs since Debian 10 is broken (at time of writing) as network-vm.
Wireless works in Fedora 33, but not out of the box in Debian 11.

Overall there's still a bit sluggishnes from time to time. Pinning all VMs to cores helps.

Dual 2K screens acheived via 2x DP to USB-C adapter, multiport adapters does not work (single DP).

What does not work:
* Webcam
* MST

Not tested:
* Bluetooth
Qubes-HCL-LENOVO-20Y1S02400-20210318-093409.yml

Sven Semmler

Mar 18, 2021, 12:50:39 PM3/18/21
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Hi Josef,

thank you for sending your HCL report. It is now part of this pull request:

https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-hcl/pull/53

... and will be merged into the website soon.

/Sven

--
public key: https://www.svensemmler.org/0x8F541FB6.asc
fingerprint: D7CA F2DB 658D 89BC 08D6 A7AA DA6E 167B 8F54 1FB6

OpenPGP_signature

Josef Johansson

Mar 19, 2021, 7:43:30 AM3/19/21
to qubes-users
Hi,

I applied clocksource=tsc tsc=unstable hpetbroadcast=0 https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/6055 to my grub xen cmdline and the laptop is smooth as butter and really fast.
No need for dom0_max_vcpus=2 or dom0_vcpus_pin.

Managed to get the webcam working as well.

I'm quite satisfied with the 2xDP dongle so won't test out MST further, it may or may not work.

It's a TPM 2.0 chipset which needs secure boot to work. I don't have the time to work that out, so maybe TPM works? :) I will try in XEN 4.15 :)

Most function keys works (it seems that disable wifi does not work), not sure how to test F10-F12 (phone-related and bookmark?)

Backlight on keyboard works.

Quite satisfied, the machine is _fast_.

Thomas Zelch

Apr 7, 2021, 4:29:40 PM4/7/21
to qubes-users
Hi Josef,

I've just received my P14S and you saved me from a lot of headaches :)

For anybody else getting one of these, the following 4.1 ISO from OpenQA worked perfectly as install media:

It comes with kernel 5.10.25 but after adding the Parameters mentioned by Josef it's as fast as one would expect.
I've yet to test suspend / resume, so cannot say anything about that.

Thanks to Josef and the awesome Qubes community!

Josef Johansson

Apr 16, 2021, 10:40:06 PM4/16/21
to qubes-users
No problem.

I've been trying to get suspend/resume working properly for a while now.

It seems that the machine resumes, but there is something stalling CPUs such that VMs can't be started properly.

If you try it out please let me know.