HCL - Lenovo T470p

Josef Johansson

Dec 5, 2017, 9:08:27 PM12/5/17
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Installation:
* Disable Secure Boot
* Use rEFInd to boot installation

Workflow:
* To restart and avoid broken LVMs (using thinpool), restart with `qvm-shutdown --all --wait && sudo reboot`
* DPI is totally off due to awesome screen resolution/XFCE/14" screen. Fedora just doesn't work with the DPI. Debian has no trouble at all.

Features that are tested:
* Sleep on closed lid, sometimes VM dies, and I have to restart due to VMs not starting (MAC already existing)
* Dual monitors through HDMI/Displayport (monitor layout is not saved)
* USB works fine after allowing keyboard
* external mouse works directly
* Internal Mouse/Touchpad/Keyboard
* Function keys (volume up/down etc)

All in all everything works smootly except for the VM that dies sometimes.
The hardware is just awesome.
Qubes-HCL-LENOVO-20J6003GMX-20171206-025429.yml

mig...@bluefrostsecurity.de

Apr 19, 2018, 12:05:15 PM4/19/18
to qubes-users
I couldn't get the right screen resolution for me as the default was too small and all the other options present simply don't fit the screen of the T470p. I fixed it by using xrandr directly.

First in dom0 terminal create a cvt with your resolution requirements like this:

cvt 1920 1080 60

copy the modeline and then do:

xrandr --newmode <modeline>

for example in my case:

xrandr --newmode "1920x1080_60.00" 173.00 1920 2048 2576 1080 1083 1088 1120 -hsync +vsync

then execute:
xrandr --addmode eDP-1 1920X1080_60.00

Execute the resolution change:
xrandr -s 1920X1080

You can write the following script and set it to autostart with Qubes:

xrandr --newmode "1920x1080_60.00" 173.00 1920 2048 2576 1080 1083 1088 1120 -hsync +vsync
xrandr --addmode eDP-1 1920X1080_60.00
xrandr -s 1920X1080

This way your resolution changes as soon as you login to Qubes.

With regards to suspend issues. I also have them. Sometimes the laptop will not suspend when closing the lid and it is necessary to manually suspend it. Sometimes the laptop has trouble coming back out of sleep (although less frequently than the first issue). Sometimes after returning from sleep there are issues with USB devices

regards

jos...@gmail.com

Jul 23, 2018, 3:39:10 PM7/23/18
to qubes-users
Nice script! I will give that to my colleague that is complaining. I just thought about it as a feature..

I had my motherboard switch by an awesome Lenovo tech just recently after the second slot on the motherboard gave up. I had trouble with the laptop not returning after sleep mode (the led is just pulsing), maybe it's related.

I also discovered that if I do xm suspend on a VM and go to sleep mode, the laptop will not come back from sleep mode.

I also discovered that if the network VM does not get proper networking after resume, I could suspend the laptop again, wait for it to finally go into sleep mode, and then wake it up again, modprobe the modules needed in the network VM. Does not happen often.

When I let the laptop go really low in battery now, Qubes should have let it go to sleep, but it complain that the verb Sleep is not available.

I don't know how much of the suspend/resume issues are related, but it seems that the UEFI/ACPI code has a couple of bugs :) Maybe Qubes could be more resilient when doing suspend/resume.