How to resize bionic-desktop template

roger paranoia

Sep 30, 2020, 5:47:09 AM9/30/20
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Hello

I have tried to resize the bionic-desktop template through the usual "Qube Settings" menu but it actually doesn't resize. I've tried to look for information about this on the internet but I couldn't get a clue on how to do it.
Does anyone know how to do it?

Thanks in advance!

unman

Sep 30, 2020, 10:29:37 AM9/30/20
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
qvm-volume resize bionic-desktop:root <new size>

new size can be e.g 50G

roger paranoia

Oct 1, 2020, 6:23:02 AM10/1/20
to unman, qubes...@googlegroups.com
Hello

Thank you very much!

roger paranoia

Oct 4, 2020, 10:35:50 AM10/4/20
to unman, qubes...@googlegroups.com
Hello

I have another question relating this.
That command resizes the logical volume and that's ok, but... the problem is that partitions inside that volume doesn't get resized.

What I've done is:
Installing the bionic-desktop template
Clone the template to bionic-desktop_test
Resize the logical volume with "qvm-volume resize bionic-desktop_test:root 20G

Now I start the template, open a terminal on it and run:
user@localhost:~$ lsblk
NAME    MAJ:MIN RM  SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
xvda    202:0    1 18.6G  0 disk
├─xvda1 202:1    1  200M  0 part
├─xvda2 202:2    1    2M  0 part
└─xvda3 202:3    1  9.8G  0 part /
xvdb    202:16   1    2G  0 disk /rw
xvdc    202:32   1   10G  0 disk
├─xvdc1 202:33   1    1G  0 part [SWAP]
└─xvdc3 202:35   1    9G  0 part
xvdd    202:48   1  500M  1 disk

So the volume was resized (18.6G) but the root partition is still 9.8G and that means... there's a limit for the software that can be installed in there.
I can't resize the partition from inside the template and I can't find how resize specifically the xvda3 partition inside that particular logical volume.

Any ideas on how to do it?

Thanks in advance!

unman

Oct 4, 2020, 11:58:58 AM10/4/20
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Oct 04, 2020 at 04:35:27PM +0200, roger paranoia wrote:
> Hello
>
> I have another question relating this.
> That command resizes the logical volume and that's ok, but... the problem
> is that partitions inside that volume doesn't get resized.
>
> What I've done is:
> Installing the bionic-desktop template
> Clone the template to bionic-desktop_test
> Resize the logical volume with "qvm-volume resize bionic-desktop_test:root
> 20G
>
> Now I start the template, open a terminal on it and run:
> user@localhost:~$ lsblk
> NAME MAJ:MIN RM SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
> xvda 202:0 1 18.6G 0 disk
> ??????xvda1 202:1 1 200M 0 part
> ??????xvda2 202:2 1 2M 0 part
> ??????xvda3 202:3 1 9.8G 0 part /
> xvdb 202:16 1 2G 0 disk /rw
> xvdc 202:32 1 10G 0 disk
> ??????xvdc1 202:33 1 1G 0 part [SWAP]
> ??????xvdc3 202:35 1 9G 0 part
> xvdd 202:48 1 500M 1 disk
>
> So the volume was resized (18.6G) but the root partition is still 9.8G and
> that means... there's a limit for the software that can be installed in
> there.
> I can't resize the partition from inside the template and I can't find how
> resize specifically the xvda3 partition inside that particular logical
> volume.
>
> Any ideas on how to do it?
>
> Thanks in advance!

The simplest route for you would be to use a tool like gparted:
`apt install gparted`

Open gparted - you will be asked if you want to make the extra
space available - say "Yes".
Then in the GUI, expand /dev/xvda3 to use the available space.

roger paranoia

Oct 4, 2020, 4:08:28 PM10/4/20
to unman, qubes...@googlegroups.com
Hello

Worked like a charm
Second time in a row that you save my day.

It really helped me
Thank you very much man!