Problem installing Qubes 4rc1 on Lenovo Thinkpad X200 - Installer hangs with VT-d enabled / without: libxenlight failed to create new domain (with/without iommo-tweak)

P R

Aug 5, 2017, 5:25:30 PM8/5/17
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I have already raised a question in the thread regarding Qubes 4rc1, but as the Lenovo series is a common laptop for Qubes it might make sense to open a dedicated thread for this.

I tried several things in order to get Qubes 4 running on my Lenovo X200 but it seems I am stuck.

I've installed Qubes 4 from USB with VT-d disabled which works but throws an error in the end and which doesn't allow to start an AppVM:

Start failed: internal error: libxenlight failed to create new domain 'sys-firewall'

I have also tried to create a new Fedora 25 based AppVM (HVM and non-HVM) and run into the same error.

I have enabled VT-d in the BIOS and rebooted, same error. I have enabled/disabled iommu=igfx / no-igfx same problem.

Unfortunately it seems that I can't enable VT-d during Qubes installation as the installer will halt with a black screen when VT-d is enabled.
See here for the hint regarding the Installation of Qubes 3.2 (?):

As I didn't have any trouble installing and running Qubes 3.2 on the X200 (with 8 GB RAM) I don't understand what is the problem with Qubes 4.

I've done some crossreading regarding the libxenlight error but didn't come to a good suggestion what to try next.

- PhR

pencilfight

Aug 6, 2017, 5:05:54 PM8/6/17
to P R, qubes...@googlegroups.com

5. Aug 2017 17:25 by qubes...@googlegroups.com:

--

My Thinkpad  also runs 3.2 with no issues minus the well known Nvidia issue.  I was concerned as well trying the 4 prerelease, but I believe Joanna posted recently how Quebes 4 architecture is significantly different from all prior builds, not to mention new kernel. Many current users may require a completely new hardware. I think you are right many would benefit from a dedicated thread.

When I was able to get some sort of functionally I understood where most common tasks in 3.2 where relocated to in dom0. But I could not figure out how/where to go to restore my backups. Which brings me to the subject of 4 strictly using HVMs if I'm correct.  Is there a process for app VMs to smoothly transition to HVMs? I have to assume these will all run in seamless mode? Lots of questions on top of the Thinkpad specific ones. I'm in no hurry for answers, they will come in time.

That being said, I can't begin to say how appreciative I am for the developers' hard work over the last two years to bring us a prerelease.  And everyone should keep in mind that is exactly what it is, a prerelease. I'm not discouraged having to revert to 3.2 temporarily.

Cheers!

Pen

P R

Aug 6, 2017, 6:59:29 PM8/6/17
to pencilfight, qubes...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

Am 06.08.2017 11:05 nachm. schrieb "pencilfight" <penci...@tutanota.com>:

Many current users may require a completely new hardware. I think you are right many would benefit from a dedicated thread.

Of course the task for "us" as prerelease testers is to give valuable feedback what is working and what is not which will save other users struggling with Qubes.

The most important is:
Will Qubes 4 work with my hardware, if the answer is yes, I have no problem trying to get Qubes up and running, but if the answer is no, I would of course save my time and just get the proper hardware.

So I would like to see which hardware can be used with Qubes 4. Currently I am not sure if this is the case with the Lenovo X200.
Is there a dedicated HCL for Qubes 4?

I would like to see the Lenovo X230 supported on Qubes 4 if the old X200 will not work.

As such my question again:
Has someone successfully setup Qubes 4rc1 on a X200?
And if so, what was the trick?

Regarding hardware:

If we manage to get a 12, 14 and 15inch laptop from Lenovo / Dell and maybe HP on a Qubes 4 HCL this would benefit new users as they can just buy a refurbished nlmodell for cheap.
Most people I talk to have no problem buying a laptop if the know what the need to buy.

Someone might even come up with the idea to sell SSDs with Qubes preinstalled which can be a good thing for new users who just need to replace their harddrive which is an easy task with corporate grade laptops.

I know that someone will say, that this doesn't guarantee that the installation has not been tampered, but honestly I am already trusting the Qubes team for their work.

- PhR

P R

Aug 10, 2017, 2:41:04 AM8/10/17
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I've asked some days ago if someone has been able get Qubes OS 4rc1 up and running on a Lenovo Thinkpad X200 (which works fine under Qubes 3.2)

Am 05.08.2017 11:25 nachm. schrieb "P R" <p.rasc...@googlemail.com>:
(...)
I've installed Qubes 4 from USB with VT-d disabled which works but throws an error in the end and which doesn't allow to start an AppVM:

Start failed: internal error: libxenlight failed to create new domain 'sys-firewall'

I have also tried to create a new Fedora 25 based AppVM (HVM and non-HVM) and run into the same error.

I have enabled VT-d in the BIOS and rebooted, same error. I have enabled/disabled iommu=igfx / no-igfx same problem.

Unfortunately it seems that I can't enable VT-d during Qubes installation as the installer will halt with a black screen when VT-d is enabled.
See here for the hint regarding the Installation of Qubes 3.2 (?):

As I didn't have any trouble installing and running Qubes 3.2 on the X200 (with 8 GB RAM) I don't understand what is the problem with Qubes 4.
(...)
As I like to move forward I would like to know I the X200 can be used with Qubes 4rc1 or if I need to get another machine (probably a X230 or T430).

Any feedback on this (X200 + Qubes 4.x = fail?)

Kind regards

- PhR

Foppe de Haan

Aug 10, 2017, 3:13:39 AM8/10/17
to qubes-users

I don't know enough to answer your question, but do you get any useful additional information when you remove 'rhgb quiet' from the xen boot parameters (which I assume is there)?

hugon...@gmail.com

Aug 10, 2017, 10:14:10 AM8/10/17
to qubes-users
On Saturday, 5 August 2017 22:25:30 UTC+1, PR wrote:
> I've installed Qubes 4 from USB with VT-d disabled which works but throws an error in the end and which doesn't allow to start an AppVM:

I have a Yoga S1 and I had the same problem. I was only able to install Qubes R3.2, also without Virtualization. After installing it, I'm able to use it though. I've already posted about this here: https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/3001

Meanwhile, I'd do what I did - stick to R3.2