Occasionally UI elements stop responding to mouse clicks (all AppVMs and dom0)

koto...@gmail.com

May 24, 2017, 9:54:22 PM5/24/17
to qubes-users
Hey guys,

I have a rather peculiar issue. Sometimes all the UI elements stop responding to mouse clicks (or touch pad for that matter). This includes all AppVMs and dom0. E.g. I can't switch tabs in the browser or tabs in terminal emulators or just select or move windows with the mouse. I still can do all of that using keyboard, alt+tab switches between windows just fine, ctrl+pageup/pagedown switches between terminal/browser tabs, commands in bash can be executed and typed in.

It starts responding to clicks again after anywhere between 1 and 5 minutes.
This happens between one and five times a day.

Could someone please point me to how do I debug this issue?

Thanks!

PS
I use Qubes as my primary OS and usually have two, rarely three or four AppVMs working at the same time. I am mindful of the memory usage and am sure that it stays well within available memory. I use Lenovo ThinkPad T450 with 16G of RAM of which most of the time I only use < 50%.

Matty South

May 25, 2017, 8:49:42 AM5/25/17
to qubes-users, koto...@gmail.com

I sometimes a have similar bug. I have a suspicion it's due to the way the desktop is extended for multiple monitors. Do you also have multiple monitors? [trying to narrow down the root cause]

Vadim Kotov

May 25, 2017, 3:14:32 PM5/25/17
to Matty South, qubes-users
Nope, just the laptop screen.

Matty South

May 26, 2017, 10:42:01 AM5/26/17
to qubes-users, matty...@gmail.com, koto...@gmail.com
I have a T460. I'll try to experiment a more when it happens to narrow down what the cause is. It is very intermittent for me (happens like once a week or something).

Vít Šesták

May 26, 2017, 5:14:56 PM5/26/17
to qubes-users, koto...@gmail.com
I see the issue on two laptops with both integrated touchpad and external USB touchpad. This happens even with one monitor. Calling qubes-monitor-layout-notify does not help. (If it did, it probably would not affect dom0.) The last time I had the issue, I looked at dmesg, but found nothing interesting there.