LibreOffice presentation mode with QubesOS

Germann Fabio

Nov 4, 2019, 1:42:26 PM11/4/19
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Hi qubes-users,

Recently I tried to present a presentation using LibreOffice on qubes. I'm not able to get into the presentation mode where I got the fullscreen presentation on the HDMI display and the presentation mode screen (current slide, next slide and comments) on the internal display.

I assume this is because in the AppVM there is only one screen. Is there any way around this?
Has anyone been able to get this working?

Cheers,
Fabio

Claudia

Nov 12, 2019, 11:52:41 AM11/12/19
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Germann Fabio:
What do you actually see when you try to do this? Same thing on both
screens, or one of them blank, or controls on the same screen as
presentation, etc?

Did you ever have this working in Qubes before?

You could try installing KDE in dom0. It might fix it, might not.
https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/kde/

I'm not sure if it matters that there is only one screen in the AppVM.
Actually, I don't think AppVMs really have any concept of a "screen" at
all, per se. I think dom0 handles the placement of AppVM windows,
including which screen to place them on. AppVMs are only aware of the
contents and title of their own windows, as far as I know.

Do you have a multi-screen desktop working properly? If you're able to
get the presentation and controls showing in separate windows, I would
imagine you (via dom0) could just move each window to whichever screen
you want.

I seem to remember a sort of pseudo-fullscreen mode in LibreOffice,
where it would show the presentation in a maximized window instead of
fullscreen. Maybe that would be helpful. Though I'm not familiar with
the "presentation mode" you described, where the controls are visible on
a different screen (or in a different window) at the same time.

This free account was provided by VFEmail.net - report spam to ab...@vfemail.net

ONLY AT VFEmail! - Use our Metadata Mitigator to keep your email out of the NSA's hands!
15GB disk! No bandwidth quotas!
Commercial and Bulk Mail Options!

Lorenzo Lamas

Nov 13, 2019, 3:30:08 AM11/13/19
to qubes-users
AppVM's by default don't have fullscreen access, have you enabled it first?
https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/full-screen-mode/

fabio....@gmail.com

Jan 16, 2020, 3:00:05 PM1/16/20
to qubes-users
Hi Lorenzo,

I did not have this enabled. But also after turning it on (and rebooting) the presentation mode does not work correctly.

brenda...@gmail.com

Jan 16, 2020, 4:03:08 PM1/16/20
to qubes-users
Alt-space fullscreen doesn’t work?

trueriver

Jan 19, 2020, 7:53:30 AM1/19/20
to qubes-users
Hi,

I have no experience with this use case, so this reply is purely theoretical.

You will need to do something in the AppVM and something else in Dom0. This is because the functionality that you are trying to use is spread across those two VMs in the Qubes model.

In Dom0, you will at least need to tell the Display manager that there will be more than one display. To do this, use the standard XFCE display settings icon, which you can reach through the menu system. At the very least, you need a tick in the checkbox for "configure new displays when connected". Without this, Dom0 wil not acknowledge that there is more than one display so cannot show different things on the respective displays.

Once you have enabled the second display in Dom0, go into your AppVM and do what you normally do. I can't advise beyond that, except that if LibreOffice gives you two windows you can maybe drag each one to where you want it...

Finally, the other setting that is also called "presentation mode" coerns the power settings, in order to stop the screen banking, or going into screen saver, during the presentation. You may have a checkbox called "presentation mode" in the battery status widget in the system tray -- if not you will have to go into the Power Mannager in settings and select "never" in the relevant places.

Not sure if that will help...
Good Luck

River~~

unman

Jan 19, 2020, 8:39:55 PM1/19/20
to qubes-users
With KDE it's straightforward.
In the slide show settings set the presentation display.
Start the slide show, and set the slide show window as full screen from
the title bar.
Now you have the control panel including notes on one screen and full screen
slides on the other.

You *may* be able to do this in Xfce.