Disk Manager does not start

William Fisher

Nov 3, 2018, 9:57:40 PM11/3/18
to qubes-users
I just installed qubes 4.0 and the disk manager doesn’t start and show any disk drives. It just shows the settings for the mAnager. I can’t get the manager to start. I try to install or back-up vms and when I try to select a destination I get the error: whoops a Critical error has occurred. This is most likely a bug in Qubes Restore VMs application. Qubes VM Error. Cannot start Dom0 fake domain at line 102 of file base.py

awokd

Nov 4, 2018, 3:14:16 AM11/4/18
to William Fisher, qubes-users
William Fisher:
> I just installed qubes 4.0 and the disk manager doesn’t start and show any disk drives. It just shows the settings for the mAnager. I can’t get the manager to start. I try to install or back-up vms and when I try to select a destination I get the error: whoops a Critical error has occurred. This is most likely a bug in Qubes Restore VMs application. Qubes VM Error. Cannot start Dom0 fake domain at line 102 of file base.py

Did you update dom0 & templates after installing, and reboot? I am not
following where you are running into trouble. Are you trying to backup
VMs, or restore them?

William Fisher

Nov 4, 2018, 9:52:26 PM11/4/18
to qubes-users
Dom0 does recognize the HDD storage disk but Disk Manager in Qubes does not start to give me access to the files on the HDD or to backup my VMs

unman

Nov 5, 2018, 9:36:41 AM11/5/18
to qubes-users
On Sun, Nov 04, 2018 at 06:52:26PM -0800, William Fisher wrote:
> Dom0 does recognize the HDD storage disk but Disk Manager in Qubes does not start to give me access to the files on the HDD or to backup my VMs

I think that you mean "File manager". There isnt one in dom0 by design.
You are not intended to use one in dom0.

To backup qubes use the menu item under "System Tools".
To see what qubes you have, use the Qube Manager - again under "Syetm
Tools" in Xfce menu.

If you *do* want to work at file level you can do so from a terminal in
dom0, but this is generally not recommended.

unman

awokd

Nov 5, 2018, 10:05:35 AM11/5/18
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
William Fisher:
> Dom0 does recognize the HDD storage disk but Disk Manager in Qubes does not start to give me access to the files on the HDD or to backup my VMs

That's fine, you don't need Disk Manager in dom0. Choose or create a
non-network connected AppVM (suggest "Personal" for example.) Then,
connect the block device to it with something like "qvm-block attach
personal dom0:sdb1". The "sdb1" part will vary depending on what you see
in qvm-block's output. You should then be able to mount the drive using
the File Manager inside Personal. The Qubes Backup and Restore utilities
can also access the drive inside the Personal AppVM, just use the "..."
button once it is mounted there.

unman

Nov 5, 2018, 11:06:47 AM11/5/18
to qubes-users
On Sat, Nov 03, 2018 at 06:57:40PM -0700, William Fisher wrote:
> I just installed qubes 4.0 and the disk manager doesn’t start and show any disk drives. It just shows the settings for the mAnager. I can’t get the manager to start. I try to install or back-up vms and when I try to select a destination I get the error: whoops a Critical error has occurred. This is most likely a bug in Qubes Restore VMs application. Qubes VM Error. Cannot start Dom0 fake domain at line 102 of file base.py

I've commented in another post on the "disk manager" issue.
Can you explain exactly what you mean by "select a destination" when
installing a qube? Are you trying to select a backup file from dom0? Or
from a disk attached to another qube?

On my updated 4.0, if I open the "Restore Qubes" application, I can
select a Qube (including dom0), and then click the '...' button, and a
file browser opens.

Is this what you are trying to do?
A better description of the steps you take that lead up to the error
would be helpful.

William Fisher

Nov 5, 2018, 6:23:27 PM11/5/18
to qubes-users
I have a Widows 7 VM saved on a HDD from my previous Qubes 3.2 and I am trying to install it and various other VMs that were “Backed up” On that HDD to my Qubes 4.0 installation. The HDD is recognizied by Qubes 4.0 but I can’t see it on the Back up/restore list of files and I do not know how to start the Disk File Manager tool to “mount” the HDD to access the stored VMs.

unman

Nov 6, 2018, 10:34:21 AM11/6/18
to qubes-users
On Mon, Nov 05, 2018 at 03:23:27PM -0800, William Fisher wrote:
> I have a Widows 7 VM saved on a HDD from my previous Qubes 3.2 and I am trying to install it and various other VMs that were “Backed up” On that HDD to my Qubes 4.0 installation. The HDD is recognizied by Qubes 4.0 but I can’t see it on the Back up/restore list of files and I do not know how to start the Disk File Manager tool to “mount” the HDD to access the stored VMs.

I think that awokd has suggested the right path.
Attach the block device to another qube, and then select *that* qube
in the back up tool.

Was the HDD encrypted?
What was the partition scheme?
If so you will need to decrypt it, and mount the relevant partitions in
the qube to which you attach the device.

William Fisher

Nov 6, 2018, 5:35:28 PM11/6/18
to qubes-users, unman
The back ups were encrypted but the drive was not. How do I attach the drive if I can’t use File Manager?

unman

Nov 6, 2018, 7:22:32 PM11/6/18
to qubes-users
On Tue, Nov 06, 2018 at 04:35:12PM -0600, William Fisher wrote: > The back ups were encrypted but the drive was not. How do I attach the
> drive if I can’t use File Manager?
>
> On Tue, Nov 6, 2018 at 9:34 AM unman <un...@thirdeyesecurity.org> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Nov 05, 2018 at 03:23:27PM -0800, William Fisher wrote:
> > > I have a Widows 7 VM saved on a HDD from my previous Qubes 3.2 and I am
> > trying to install it and various other VMs that were “Backed up” On that
> > HDD to my Qubes 4.0 installation. The HDD is recognizied by Qubes 4.0 but I
> > can’t see it on the Back up/restore list of files and I do not know how to
> > start the Disk File Manager tool to “mount” the HDD to access the stored
> > VMs.
> > >

> > I think that awokd has suggested the right path.
> > Attach the block device to another qube, and then select *that* qube
> > in the back up tool.
> >
> > Was the HDD encrypted?
> > What was the partition scheme?
> > If so you will need to decrypt it, and mount the relevant partitions in

Open a terminal in dom0:
use qvm-block to identify the HDD.
Then do what awokd suggested: start a qube and use qvm-block to attach
the relevant partition to that qubes.
Use qvm-block to ensure that the HDD partition is attached.
Open a terminal in the qube.
Check that the relevant partition appears as /dev/xvdi
sudo mount /dev/xvdi /mnt
Confirm contents of /mnt

Open Qubes restore tool
Select qubes, click on ... button.

If that doesn't work, then you can try use command line tool:
qvm-backup-restore

Always watch for errors on commands.