HCL - Hewlett Packard EliteBook 8560p

Brendon Green

Apr 2, 2018, 9:02:05 PM4/2/18
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
I have been running Qubes R3.2 on this laptop for about a year now; with a mixture of Fedora, Debian, and Windows VMs.  At first, all features and hardware functionality worked very well; including S3 sleep, docking/undocking, and driving up to 4 displays from the Radeon 6400M-series GPU.  However; ever since the originally-shipped dom0 kernel (4.6, IIRC) was discontinued, I have not been able to use display compositing without the computer crashing upon resuming from sleep (I assume this is a quirk of using a 4.9 kernel on the long-discontinued Fedora 23 dom0).

Intel vPro I/O virtualisation is enabled in BIOS and appears to be working well.  USB 3.0 and 2.0 both work within VMs, and the three controller devices can be assigned independently, as long as care is taken to allow permissive reset (this took me a while to figure out when first experimenting with isolating USB using VMs, and also when attempting to pass-through a USB controller to Windows).
Qubes-HCL-Hewlett_Packard-HP_EliteBook_8560p-20180403-122132.yml
Qubes-HCL-Hewlett_Packard-HP_EliteBook_8560p-20180403-122132.cpio.gz

Drew White

Apr 5, 2018, 1:59:47 AM4/5/18
to qubes-users
Did you ever manage to get it to pass through to Windows properly? I still have issues passing one USB to my Windows Guests. I have to go through a lot of trouble to get a USB device in there, and even then it doesn't always work.

Does the 8560p have a 3G module in it? If so, have you managed to get that working?

I have an 8460p, and that's the one thing that will not work, and I'm not sure why. Follow instructions, doesn't work...

I can't even pass that one USB device into a Windows Guest to get it working, Qubes 3.2 will not recognise it as a modem or networking device to use. Any thoughts?