[R3.2] Settings for displays missing

Albin Otterhäll

Jun 19, 2016, 10:50:31 AM6/19/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
I've just installed R3.2-RC1 and I can't find the settings for displays in Plasma (KDE). System Settings --> Display and Monitor doesn't contain any settings for monitors, just the compositor.

I'm using a Thinkpad T430 (laptop) and trying to connect my external monitors.

Micah Lee

Jun 19, 2016, 1:19:58 PM6/19/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
On 06/19/2016 07:50 AM, Albin Otterhäll wrote:
> I've just installed R3.2-RC1 and I can't find the settings for displays
> in Plasma (KDE). /System Settings --> Display and Monitor/ doesn't
> contain any settings for monitors, just the compositor.
>
> I'm using a Thinkpad T430 (laptop) and trying to connect my external
> monitors.

It appears that there are some missing packages in dom0. I solved this
by installing kscreen:

$ sudo qubes-dom0-update kscreen

This made KDE recognize my external monitor, but I still couldn't find
the configuration tool in System Settings. However I figured out that I
could open it like this:

$ kcmshell5 kscreen

qubes...@gmail.com

Jun 28, 2016, 12:42:56 AM6/28/16
to qubes-users, mi...@micahflee.com
On Monday, 20 June 2016 00:19:58 UTC+7, Micah Lee wrote:

> It appears that there are some missing packages in dom0. I solved this
> by installing kscreen:
>
> $ sudo qubes-dom0-update kscreen
>
> This made KDE recognize my external monitor, but I still couldn't find
> the configuration tool in System Settings. However I figured out that I
> could open it like this:
>
> $ kcmshell5 kscreen

Thank you for sharing this, as I'd been wondering how to change the settings on my Acer XB280KH 4K monitor.

I followed the above steps successfully, but when I tried to change the settings from 4K to the next setting down, the screen went blank and I got a "No Signal" error message.

On turning off / turning back on again, everything appeared to be fine right up until signing into my account, then I got a blank screen with a blinking cursor.

WARNING - I HAD TO REINSTALL QUBES FROM SCRATCH

I believe this is probably because there's no driver support for this monitor, and it's probably an idiotic mistake on my part, but I'm prepared to share my idiocy in case it helps anyone else. ;-)

If you have Acer 4K, you can make everything more legible by changing the font sizes in System Settings instead.

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Jun 28, 2016, 6:46:45 AM6/28/16
to qubes...@gmail.com, qubes-users, mi...@micahflee.com

qubes...@gmail.com

Jun 28, 2016, 11:08:13 AM6/28/16
to qubes-users

On Mon, Jun 27, 2016 at 09:42:55PM -0700, qubes...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Monday, 20 June 2016 00:19:58 UTC+7, Micah Lee wrote:
>
> > It appears that there are some missing packages in dom0. I solved this
> > by installing kscreen:
> >
> > $ sudo qubes-dom0-update kscreen
> >
> > This made KDE recognize my external monitor, but I still couldn't find
> > the configuration tool in System Settings. However I figured out that I
> > could open it like this:
> >
> > $ kcmshell5 kscreen

For me it appeared in the System Setting after logging out and in.

Interesting! Pretty sure that didn't happen for me, even after rebooting a couple of times.

> Thank you for sharing this, as I'd been wondering how to change the settings on my Acer XB280KH 4K monitor.
>
> I followed the above steps successfully, but when I tried to change the settings from 4K to the next setting down, the screen went blank and I got a "No Signal" error message.
>
> On turning off / turning back on again, everything appeared to be fine right up until signing into my account, then I got a blank screen with a blinking cursor.
>
> WARNING - I HAD TO REINSTALL QUBES FROM SCRATCH

AFAIR there should be some timeout after which it should revert to
previous value. Unless you restart the system...

This may have changed in R3.2-rc1 but I had same problem in 3.1 and it didn't reset itself even after leaving it for a while. This time I just switched off the computer and reached for my installer USB!

> I believe this is probably because there's no driver support for this monitor, and it's probably an idiotic mistake on my part, but I'm prepared to share my idiocy in case it helps anyone else. ;-)
>
> If you have Acer 4K, you can make everything more legible by changing the font sizes in System Settings instead.

There is very nice description of required setting for each desktop
environment on Archlinux wiki:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/HiDPI

This is an *incredibly* helpful link. THANK YOU, Marek! Can't wait to have a play with it in the morning. ;-)

QC