ReactOS instead of Win7?

Gaiko Kyofusho

Oct 12, 2016, 4:48:24 PM10/12/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
I haven't seen much mention of ReactOS on the list but was thinking it *might* be worth trying a ReactOS AppVM as an alternative to a MS Windows AppVM but before I put myself through the frustration I thought I'd ask #1 The wisdom (or not) of the idea and #2 If its been tried already and doesn't work yet.

Thx

Drew White

Oct 12, 2016, 9:42:55 PM10/12/16
to qubes-users, gaikokuji...@gmail.com
On Thursday, 13 October 2016 07:48:24 UTC+11, Gaiko Kyofusho wrote:
> I haven't seen much mention of ReactOS on the list but was thinking it *might* be worth trying a ReactOS AppVM as an alternative to a MS Windows AppVM but before I put myself through the frustration I thought I'd ask #1 The wisdom (or not) of the idea and #2 If its been tried already and doesn't work yet.
>
> Thx

I didn't think that ReactOS was based on the same technology as Windows 7.

Thus it would most likely be incompatible, unless they moved past the NT technology base?

Drew White

Oct 12, 2016, 10:12:48 PM10/12/16
to qubes-users, gaikokuji...@gmail.com
On Thursday, 13 October 2016 07:48:24 UTC+11, Gaiko Kyofusho wrote:
> I haven't seen much mention of ReactOS on the list but was thinking it *might* be worth trying a ReactOS AppVM as an alternative to a MS Windows AppVM but before I put myself through the frustration I thought I'd ask #1 The wisdom (or not) of the idea and #2 If its been tried already and doesn't work yet.
>
> Thx

Qubes tools will NOT work. ROS is only 32 bit. It's still only 2003/XP based.
I'm looking at doing something with the Qubes Tools to enable at least copy/paste/qrexec.

But at this time, it just won't have that option available if you use ReactOS.

gaikokuji...@gmail.com

Oct 13, 2016, 8:26:31 AM10/13/16
to qubes-users, gaikokuji...@gmail.com

Thats too bad, it would have been nice to use OSS to run win apps but anyway thanks for the answer! Saved me a bit of frustration trying to make it work.

Drew White

Oct 13, 2016, 9:59:08 PM10/13/16
to qubes-users, gaikokuji...@gmail.com

No problem, I just talked to the ReactOS people to find out.
during the chat, I may have worked out exactly how to get them working though, as some of them have patches/cracks to get win7 stuff to work on ROS.
Not always well, but it does work.

On the other hand, I may just write an interpreter for ReactOS to work just like the tools normally would. It shouldn't be that hard since the code is already available. But who knows. I will probably encounter many issues. But I think that it will be beneficial in the end.

At the moment there are other things I'm working on in Qubes to get it to work right, you know, bridged networking and all. and I mean completely bridged, not just forwarding.
So that's my first priority, then I'll get onto this other thing and see what I can pull off, or if it is even possible. It should be possible, and shouldn't take too long if it is possible.

I'll let you know how it goes.

gaikokuji...@gmail.com

Oct 14, 2016, 3:58:36 PM10/14/16
to qubes-users, gaikokuji...@gmail.com

Totally understand the priorities part. But hey, its great to hear that it will/might be added in the future as I think ReactOS fits (ethos wise) fairly well with Qubes. Look'n forward to it.

Thanks!!