Can't rename appvm?

Gaiko Kyofusho

May 19, 2017, 2:48:03 PM5/19/17
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
I tried to rename my anon-whonix appvm through the qubes-manager, right click, vm settings, name & label. This worked fine for other appvms but this time it didn't seem to change the name. Strangely it did change the private storage to 0mb and now when I try to change the mem to something else I get:

ERROR: Basic tab:
[Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/var/lib/qubes/appvms/anon-whonix/private.img'

Or to change the vm name (which still shows up as "anon-whonix") I get:

ERROR: Basic tab:
[Errno 2] No such file or directory

I looked in /var/lib/qubes/appvms/ and the anon-whonix-renamed dir is there as I think it should be but the qubes manager doesn't seem to know this. I tried restarting qubes (simple reboot) and that didn't work. So I am now not quite sure where to go from here?

Thoughts? Thx.

cooloutac

May 19, 2017, 9:35:26 PM5/19/17
to qubes-users
I was able to change mine. Pretty strange. Check smartctl in dom0. do a memory check overnight?

If I was your I would just backup any data delete the vm and create a new one or delete and restore from older. cause its suspect.

Gaiko

May 21, 2017, 4:41:43 PM5/21/17
to qubes-users

Thanks. I ended up deleting it and then making a new one, not ideal though. In the future how would I have packed it up? Could I have just copied the private.img to a new anon-whonix appvm and overwritten the old one?

Jean-Philippe Ouellet

May 23, 2017, 2:31:39 AM5/23/17
to Gaiko, qubes-users
Known issue [1], not yet fixed.

[1]: https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/2054

Gaiko Kyofusho

May 28, 2017, 1:11:01 PM5/28/17
to Jean-Philippe Ouellet, qubes-users
Ah oops, I didn't see that. Thank you very much for pointing it out (and adding my post to the issues thread).