Qubes 3.1 and 3.2(rc2) video driver question

Dima Puntus

Aug 7, 2016, 12:29:24 PM8/7/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I'd like to know if there's a way to fix the terrible screen tearing that I'm getting both on internal laptop screen and external monitor.

System info:

HP Elitebook 2570p:
Intel HD4000 graphics
CPU i7-3840QM

I know there's an Intel Graphics driver for Linux package by 01 dot org, but I'm unable to install it in dom0 due to multiple dependencies which are missing. What's the best approach to update the video driver?

Thank you
Dimitry

Andrew David Wong

Aug 7, 2016, 8:08:41 PM8/7/16
to Dima Puntus, qubes...@googlegroups.com

Andrew David Wong

Aug 8, 2016, 1:45:21 PM8/8/16

On 2016-08-08 10:31, Dima Puntus wrote:
> On 2016-08-07 09:29, Dima Puntus wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'd like to know if there's a way to fix the terrible screen tearing
>> that I'm getting both on internal laptop screen and external monitor.
>>
>> System info:
>>
>> HP Elitebook 2570p: *Intel HD4000 graphics* CPU i7-3840QM
>>
>> I know there's an Intel Graphics driver for Linux package by 01 dot org,
>> but I'm unable to install it in dom0 due to multiple dependencies which
>> are missing. What's the best approach to update the video driver?
>>
>> Thank you Dimitry
>>

> Are you, by any chance, referring to this?
>
> https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/1028
>

> No, the issue is probably more related to vsync and the video driver
> itself. Whenever moving stuff across the screen or watching videos I can
> always spot a misalignment between the top and bottom halves of the
> screen. Needless to say that the issue doesn't exist in Windows so it's not
> a hardware problem. Also, I see it when using some linux distros but not
> all. For example, in Mint 18 and KDE NEON seem to be tear free. Wayland
> video server also fixes the issue. My guess is, qubes uses an older intel
> driver by default. So my question - is it possible to update it in dom0? Is
> there a guide?
>
> Thanks, Dimitry

Yes, here you go:

https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/software-update-dom0/

P.S. - Please keep the list CCed, and please don't top post.

> On Sun, Aug 7, 2016 at 5:08 PM, Andrew David Wong <a...@qubes-os.org>
> wrote:

> Are you, by any chance, referring to this?
>
> https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/1028

- --
Andrew David Wong (Axon)
Community Manager, Qubes OS
https://www.qubes-os.org

Dima Puntus

Sep 2, 2016, 9:19:42 PM9/2/16
to Andrew David Wong, qubes...@googlegroups.com
Sorry to resurrect this thread. The link above doesn't really help (probably because I'm a newbie and missing some solid background in linux and xen). Here's the driver I'm trying to install - https://01.org/linuxgraphics/downloads (intel-linux-graphics-installer-1.4.0-23.intel20161.x86_64.rpm). So far I was able to download it through one of the VMs, then copy to Dom0. It's missing a dependency - libproxy-mozjs 0.4.10. I can download and copy it to Dom0, but for some reason Dom0 doesn't even see the file, let alone install it. What am I missing? I really need a decent video driver, the default one is only good for terminal.

Appreciate your help
 Thank You

mwba...@gmail.com

Jan 18, 2017, 12:49:45 AM1/18/17
to qubes-users, a...@qubes-os.org, mox...@gmail.com
> Sorry to resurrect this thread. The link above doesn't really help (probably because I'm a newbie and missing some solid background in linux and xen). Here's the driver I'm trying to install - https://01.org/linuxgraphics/downloads (intel-linux-graphics-installer-1.4.0-23.intel20161.x86_64.rpm). So far I was able to download it through one of the VMs, then copy to Dom0. It's missing a dependency - libproxy-mozjs 0.4.10. I can download and copy it to Dom0, but for some reason Dom0 doesn't even see the file, let alone install it. What am I missing? I really need a decent video driver, the default one is only good for terminal.
>  Appreciate your help  Thank You

Sorry to resurrect the resurrection from before, I know how much everybody in this world loves necromancy-- however, I was having a similar problem with Intel integrated [HD Graphics 530] and solved the problem by creating an xorg.conf file in the /etc/X11 folder of dom0 containing the following:

Section "Device"
Identifier "Intel Graphics"
Driver "intel"
Option "AccelMethod" "sna"
Option "TearFree" "true"
EndSection

I ended up needing to reboot the machine, but this could have been due to taking the server down and up with init... whatever the reason it needed to be rebooted.

As a note of caution, I am by no means a security guru or even really a power user of Qubes. Take anything I say with a grain of salt. It might work great for you, something might melt [or otherwise be rendered hideously insecure, though I don't readily see how].

Hope this helps!

raah...@gmail.com

Jan 18, 2017, 11:21:26 AM1/18/17
to qubes-users, mox...@gmail.com
Have you used this machine on a baremetal linux? IMO this is a linux desktop issue. You can google the many solutions on how to fix this, but it might be in vain. Sometimes open vs prop drivers make a diff, sometimes playing with compositing and opengl settings helps. But don't get your hopes up.