Problem Qubes os-Whonix

Franck Lombardo

Nov 12, 2017, 6:40:36 AM11/12/17
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Hello. I have a problem with Qubes Os 3.2 and whonix since an update, the launch of whonix, my computer freeze. after several searches, I came across it (https://forums.whonix.org/t/solved-guis-freezing-shutdown-vm-hangs/3730) but I do not understand how to do it, I tried to put the latest version of qubes-gui-agent but I already have the latest version installed. I must not be the only one in this case and the problem must be known. Can you help me to solve this problem. thank you.

Yuraeitha

Nov 12, 2017, 2:59:06 PM11/12/17
to qubes-users
On Sunday, November 12, 2017 at 11:40:36 AM UTC, Franck Lombardo wrote:
> Hello. I have a problem with Qubes Os 3.2 and whonix since an update, the launch of whonix, my computer freeze. after several searches, I came across it (https://forums.whonix.org/t/solved-guis-freezing-shutdown-vm-hangs/3730) but I do not understand how to do it, I tried to put the latest version of qubes-gui-agent but I already have the latest version installed. I must not be the only one in this case and the problem must be known. Can you help me to solve this problem. thank you.

Given the nature of your question, I assume (I'm really not sure), whether you mean the latest version by running the terminal update command? or did you mean the latest version by cross reference checking the actual packages out there, i.e. on Github, and compared it with what you got presently installed on your system?

In case of the former, then you can find the current installed version with
'apt show qubes-gui-agent'
run this command in your Whonix-ws template (or an assiociated AppVM since you only need to read it, not write to it). It prints multiple of lines, you're only interested in the 7th line or so, the one called Version.

You won't get too much out of knowing my Whonix gui package version, since I'm running Qubes 4. But it's version 4.0.5-1+deb8u1. You will probably have something akin to version 3~ due to Qubes version 3.2, it seems the first package version number follow the Qubes version.

I'm not sure how to roll back updates like these to a previous version (due to all the dependencies, which have to be right too), I haven't ventured down that dark path too much yet my self, and it might risk breaking things and make it all worse. But you could try update it though, which should be safer as the update tool installs the required decencies in the process. If there is a never version available for Qubes 3.2, that is.

If the newer version isn't pre-prepared in the Qubes repositories, but the code is available on Github, like suggested in the link you provided, then you'll have to turn the code into a binary yourself.

This may or may not be difficult for the first time, depending on your luck on the required dependencies. It can be a bit of a nightmare if you don't have the right dependencies when turning code into binary. In a sense, it's the same problem you have now, having to upgrade or downgrade, install or uninstall various different packages. If you do try this, make sure to make a template for the purpose, which you can delete again afterwards to clean up all the mess.

The package in the link is some months old now though, there might be even newer packages released by now out there. Though with the Qubes tema focused on Qubes 4 atm, chances are it's still the same available on github atm.

But first things first, if you haven't already, then you must find out which version you got, before trying to find which versions are available out there.

If all else is lost, you can always temporarily move your Whonix AppVM to the Whonix-gw, and then re-install the Whonix-ws. Update it, and hope the bug is not reproduced when updated. If the bug is re-produced, you could try update everything else, just except the Qubes-gui-agent, leave that one alone to avoid it happening again.