Networking issue with bittorrent client Q3.2

yorp

Oct 11, 2016, 7:18:48 PM10/11/16
to qubes-users
For some reason using a bittorrent client in an AppVM will not connect to internet.

I have tried setting up a new ProxyVM and configuring the iptables but still nothing...

Manuel Amador (Rudd-O)

Oct 13, 2016, 10:03:20 AM10/13/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
On 10/11/2016 11:18 PM, yorp wrote:
> For some reason using a bittorrent client in an AppVM will not connect to internet.

It's usually the case that they listen to ports locally and expect
remote ends to connect to those ports, which they open using UPNP. UPNP
firewall port opening is not supported in Qubes.

Try setting a static_ip on your AppVM after deploying Qubes network
server https://github.com/Rudd-O/qubes-network-server — of course, you
still need to allow inbound traffic to the VM using the standard
firewall rules.

--
Rudd-O
http://rudd-o.com/

Desobediente

Oct 13, 2016, 5:56:20 PM10/13/16
to qubes-users
Assuming that Manuel described your case, you would have to set a static port, not random, and forward the port in the firewall VM and also in every device in the middle of the way (routers, etc.)

Manuel Amador (Rudd-O)

Oct 13, 2016, 9:36:45 PM10/13/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
On 10/13/2016 09:56 PM, Desobediente wrote:
> Assuming that Manuel described your case, you would have to set a
> static port, not random, and forward the port in the firewall VM and
> also in every device in the middle of the way (routers, etc.)

That is right. You want to set a static port on your BT client, even if
you use Qubes network server to give it a static IP. In that case you
do not have to set a forwarding in any VM, but you may have to use a
wireless router that supports UPNP (for which you need to at the
corresponding firewall rules to the VM that allow UPNP request packets),
and you need to add an allow firewall rule for the port you opened (I
think it's both TCP and UDP these days).

> --
> iuri.neocities.org <http://iuri.neocities.org>
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/qubes-users/CAF0bz4S4DdASCr6Z5kFTDkBOZuscEU0Jy%3DwDLQ1Atrv0EGwPOw%40mail.gmail.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/qubes-users/CAF0bz4S4DdASCr6Z5kFTDkBOZuscEU0Jy%3DwDLQ1Atrv0EGwPOw%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.