Network Access dom0

zack...@gmail.com

Aug 16, 2016, 4:29:21 PM8/16/16
to qubes-users
I know it's unsecure and that the tempory elevation menioned in the update dom0 page has been removed. So is there some way I can give network access to the dom0 so I can add the bumblebee repo?

Drew White

Aug 16, 2016, 8:14:27 PM8/16/16
to qubes-users, zack...@gmail.com
On Wednesday, 17 August 2016 06:29:21 UTC+10, zack...@gmail.com wrote:
> I know it's unsecure and that the tempory elevation menioned in the update dom0 page has been removed. So is there some way I can give network access to the dom0 so I can add the bumblebee repo?

You need to enter it manually.

Andrew David Wong

Aug 16, 2016, 8:17:34 PM8/16/16
to zack...@gmail.com, qubes-users

zack...@gmail.com

Aug 16, 2016, 8:20:06 PM8/16/16
to qubes-users
Unfortunately, I need to install bumblebee for better power management for my laptop. Copying over the rpms and installing them are easy enough but my concern is with any dependencies that may be needed

Andrew David Wong

Aug 16, 2016, 8:25:03 PM8/16/16
to zack...@gmail.com, qubes-users

zack...@gmail.com

Aug 16, 2016, 9:46:23 PM8/16/16
to qubes-users, zack...@gmail.com

Alright, added the bumblebee repos. But when trying to install anything from them or run a qubes-dom0-update (this is all from dom0 terminal), I get "Failed to synchronize cache for repo 'bumblebee', disabling"

Are there some kind of special exceptions I need to add to the sys-firewall vm?

Andrew David Wong

Aug 16, 2016, 10:44:06 PM8/16/16

On 2016-08-16 18:46, zack...@gmail.com wrote:

> Maybe there's a way to define your own repo and piggyback on the usual
> dom0 update mechanism, but I've never really played around with this (due
> to the security risks), so I don't know if it's possible.
>
> The predefined repos are in /etc/yum.repos.d/. Here are the basics of the
> dom0 update system:
>
> https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/software-update-dom0/
>
> Here are the technical details:
>
> https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/dom0-secure-updates/
>
> And, in case it helps, an explanation of networking in Qubes:
>
> https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/networking/
>

> Alright, added the bumblebee repos. But when trying to install anything
> from them or run a qubes-dom0-update (this is all from dom0 terminal), I
> get "Failed to synchronize cache for repo 'bumblebee', disabling"
>
> Are there some kind of special exceptions I need to add to the sys-firewall
> vm?

Are you downloading updates via Tor (sys-whonix)? If so, try requesting a new
identity (press 'n' in tor-arm) or just wait 10 minutes, then try again.

- --
Andrew David Wong (Axon)
Community Manager, Qubes OS
https://www.qubes-os.org

zack...@gmail.com

Aug 16, 2016, 11:00:24 PM8/16/16
to qubes-users, zack...@gmail.com
I did not install the tor network for the whole system so it shouldn't be using tor. Any ideas on the cache error?

Andrew David Wong

Aug 17, 2016, 1:51:37 PM8/17/16
to zack...@gmail.com, qubes-users

zack...@gmail.com

Aug 17, 2016, 2:45:25 PM8/17/16
to qubes-users, zack...@gmail.com

All default settings: update vm is sys-firewall and it's net is sys-net

zack...@gmail.com

Aug 17, 2016, 2:50:18 PM8/17/16
to qubes-users, zack...@gmail.com

Perhaps I'm adding the repos to the wrong place. I added them in dom0. Should I instead add them to the sys-firewall template vm?

Andrew David Wong

Aug 17, 2016, 2:58:19 PM8/17/16
to zack...@gmail.com, qubes-users

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Aug 17, 2016, 4:39:24 PM8/17/16
to Andrew David Wong, zack...@gmail.com, qubes-users

zack...@gmail.com

Aug 17, 2016, 5:23:39 PM8/17/16
to qubes-users, a...@qubes-os.org, zack...@gmail.com
So is it the lack of signing causing the cache errors? I also have no idea where to import the signing key from

Desobediente

Aug 17, 2016, 6:06:14 PM8/17/16
to qubes-users
The bumblebee docs tell you to use yum/dnf without gpg.

I haven't found their keys also. Normally it sits on a keyserver.example.com or keys.example.com

Giving the circumstances, I'd guess there aren't any.

There is a "just works" way to do it, but I'm not the one telling how to do that. Just ask them to generate gpg keys.

Andrew David Wong

Aug 19, 2016, 2:11:32 PM8/19/16
to Desobediente, qubes-users

zack...@gmail.com

Aug 22, 2016, 11:02:30 AM8/22/16
to qubes-users, aindate...@gmail.com

Didn't change anything. Still getting a failed to synchronize cache for repo error