[3.2rc2] Cannot execute Qubes configuration after installing

koto...@gmail.com

Jul 31, 2016, 5:02:11 AM7/31/16
to qubes-users
Hello,

After installing Qubes OS on a 32giga USB2 stick - it was slow! - and rebooting, I selected the default options and Qubes began to install the VMs. When the prompt "Executing Qubes configuration" appears after a while, the loading bar stops. The mouse still works but nothing happens. Pressing Ctrl-Alt-F1 allowed me to take photos of the screen:

https://postimg.org/image/7je7ki9fr/
https://postimg.org/image/7r12opjsn/

I could not see any shell on the other virtual terminals, so no debugging was possible.

I'm using a Lenovo X240 laptop with Core i7 vPro.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Jul 31, 2016, 5:46:03 AM7/31/16
to koto...@gmail.com, qubes-users

koto...@gmail.com

Jul 31, 2016, 7:21:48 AM7/31/16
to qubes-users, koto...@gmail.com
> What settings have you enabled in that step?

During the installation I setup one administrator user with encryption for the disk.

After reboot I used the default options to create the default VMs. Also I think the USB isolation was on (because Qubes noticed that I didn't have a USB keyboard).

Is it possible that the USB isolation locked me out of the usb stick on which Qubes is installed?

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Jul 31, 2016, 7:37:19 AM7/31/16
to koto...@gmail.com, qubes-users

koto...@gmail.com

Jul 31, 2016, 8:17:50 AM7/31/16
to qubes-users, koto...@gmail.com
I retried, booting with a USB keyboard plugged in, without success. Even if the keyboard works, I cannot check the option "USB Qube configuration disabled".

I have the option 'default system qubes', 'default applications VMs' and 'create Whonix' checked.

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Jul 31, 2016, 8:27:16 AM7/31/16
to koto...@gmail.com, qubes-users

koto...@gmail.com

Jul 31, 2016, 8:38:42 AM7/31/16
to qubes-users, koto...@gmail.com
Yes it was the same before. The option was unchecked. I would have expect the option to be enabled if the message is "blabla disabled" and the checked option off.

Anyway, not sure how to investigate further from here.

bronc...@gmail.com

Sep 1, 2017, 2:52:44 AM9/1/17
to qubes-users, koto...@gmail.com

I am facing the exact same problem right now. Has anyone found a solution?

kototama kototama

Sep 1, 2017, 3:42:00 AM9/1/17
to bronc...@gmail.com, qubes-users
If I remember correctly the solution for me was not set/change the timezone. Have a look at the issues tracker on Github, I think it was mentioned. Good luck.

bronc...@gmail.com

Sep 1, 2017, 3:50:11 AM9/1/17
to qubes-users, bronc...@gmail.com, koto...@gmail.com
That's strange,because I'm pretty sure that I didn't even touch the time zone. Anyways,you're basically saying that I have to completely reinstall? It took so long the first time :(

kototama kototama

Sep 1, 2017, 3:56:55 AM9/1/17
to bronc...@gmail.com, qubes-users
Hey sorry I initially confused your problem with another I had.

Now I will bring the bad news: installing on a USB stick did not work for me. Use an used hard drive and plug it to your computer to test, it's worth it :)

bronc...@gmail.com

Sep 1, 2017, 3:59:46 AM9/1/17
to qubes-users, koto...@gmail.com
On Sunday, July 31, 2016 at 2:02:11 AM UTC-7, koto...@gmail.com wrote:

Ok,I think I can fish one out. One question tho,when you installed on the HDD,was the install significantly faster?

kototama kototama

Sep 1, 2017, 8:33:13 AM9/1/17
to Broncos Man, qubes-users
Yes performance after were okay, although a bit slower than another Linux.

Are you also using the same laptop model? Only later I discovered that disabling power management in the BIOS brings normal performance, i.e I cannot really feel that it is virtualized (a very nice feeling).

See this thread for more information https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/qubes-users/-wOxEuZ_xXw/o0Uf7xf6BwAJ

Essax

Sep 1, 2017, 9:22:09 PM9/1/17
to bronc...@gmail.com, qubes-users, koto...@gmail.com
I had the same issue when installing Qubes on a usb drive.  It was also very slow and I also selected the default options. The Executing Qubes Config prompt appeared then the progress/loading bar stopped/froze after a while.  I let it continue for about an hour and a half (with the frozen progress bar) and it finished configuring. I believe the frozen status bar may be a glitch when installing on slower media (usb drives, HDDs) I could be wrong though.

Essax

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.

bronc...@gmail.com

Sep 1, 2017, 9:30:50 PM9/1/17
to qubes-users, koto...@gmail.com
On Sunday, July 31, 2016 at 2:02:11 AM UTC-7, koto...@gmail.com wrote:

I left it for almost the entire day and it still didn't finish.