my qubes 3.2 doesn't boot after installing latest Dom0 patches yestarday

Oleg Artemiev

Apr 18, 2018, 12:20:05 PM4/18/18
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
It hangs w/ NMI watchdog: BUG: softlockup - CPU0 stuck for 22 s [swapper/0:0]
Usually it happens after loading Dom0 startup setup or netvm startup.

screen photo attached.
Can I get into it and roll back updates w/o reinstalling? I guees booting from Qubes usb stick will get me into it. But which packages should be downgraded - I just installed everything w/o recording - is anywhere a log of last packages installed or a howto w/ downgrade examples?

--
Bye.Olli.
gpg --search-keys grey_olli , use key w/ fingerprint below:

awokd

Apr 19, 2018, 4:18:26 AM4/19/18
to Oleg Artemiev, qubes...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, April 18, 2018 4:20 pm, Oleg Artemiev wrote:
> It hangs w/ NMI watchdog: BUG: softlockup - CPU0 stuck for 22 s
> [swapper/0:0]
> Usually it happens after loading Dom0 startup setup or netvm startup.
>

> screen photo attached. ​
> 20180418_190412.jpg
> <https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bwua3s7WG1liSlVZTjktNmh4c21WZDlJZ2xWTGRK
> Zi16YThv/view?usp=drive_web>
> ​
> Can I get into it and roll back updates w/o reinstalling? I guees booting
> from Qubes usb stick will get me into it. But which packages should be
> downgraded - I just installed everything w/o recording - is anywhere a
> log of last packages installed or a howto w/ downgrade examples?

It may have been a Linux kernel update. If you can choose an earlier
version from your boot menu, try that. To confirm, you can see the
installation history in /var/log/dnf.log* files. To downgrade specific
packages, see
https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/software-update-dom0/#how-to-downgrade-a-specific-package.
If booting the earlier version works for you, you might want to use that
instead of trying to downgrade packages but look for a way to keep more
than just 2 versions in your default list or could accidentally lose the
working one on your next upgrade. I think I saw a way to do that somewhere
on this list.

cooloutac

Apr 19, 2018, 6:03:36 AM4/19/18
to qubes-users
On Wednesday, April 18, 2018 at 12:20:05 PM UTC-4, Oleg Artemiev wrote:
> It hangs w/ NMI watchdog: BUG: softlockup - CPU0 stuck for 22 s [swapper/0:0]
> Usually it happens after loading Dom0 startup setup or netvm startup.
>
> screen photo attached.
>
> ​
>
>  20180418_190412.jpg​
>
> Can I get into it and roll back updates w/o reinstalling? I guees booting from Qubes usb stick will get me into it. But which packages should be downgraded - I just installed everything w/o recording - is anywhere a log of last packages installed or a howto w/ downgrade examples?
>

> --
> Bye.Olli.
> gpg --search-keys grey_olli , use key w/ fingerprint below:
> Key fingerprint = 9901 6808 768C 8B89 544C  9BE0 49F9 5A46 2B98 147E
> Blog keys (the blog is mostly in Russian): http://grey-olli.livejournal.com/tag/

dualbooting?

Oleg Artemiev

Apr 19, 2018, 10:19:25 AM4/19/18
to aw...@danwin1210.me, qubes...@googlegroups.com

On Thu, 19 Apr 2018 11:18 awokd <aw...@danwin1210.me> wrote:
On Wed, April 18, 2018 4:20 pm, Oleg Artemiev wrote:
> It hangs w/ NMI watchdog: BUG: softlockup - CPU0 stuck for 22 s
> [swapper/0:0]
> Usually it happens after loading Dom0 startup setup or netvm startup.
>

> screen photo attached. ​
> 20180418_190412.jpg
> <https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bwua3s7WG1liSlVZTjktNmh4c21WZDlJZ2xWTGRK
> Zi16YThv/view?usp=drive_web>
> ​
> Can I get into it and roll back updates w/o reinstalling? I guees booting
> from Qubes usb stick will get me into it. But which packages should be
> downgraded - I just installed everything w/o recording - is anywhere a
> log of last packages installed or a howto w/ downgrade examples?

It may have been a Linux kernel update. If you can choose an earlier
version from your boot menu, try that.
I did that - same hang for all 3 versions.

To confirm, you can see the
installation history in /var/log/dnf.log* files. To downgrade specific
packages, see
https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/software-update-dom0/#how-to-downgrade-a-specific-package.
Thank you!

If booting the earlier version works for you, you might want to use that
instead of trying to downgrade packages but look for a way to keep more
than just 2 versions in your default list or could accidentally lose the
Qubes provides 3 kernels to boot w/ by default. In my case all fail.

working one on your next upgrade. I think I saw a way to do that somewhere
on this list.
Looks I've to protect a kernel package from removal on next upgrade & lock one boot entry for it in grub menu . Is there a way to mark an rpm permanent? And since on updates grub menu is overwritten I've to reinstall grub manually on each upgrade, right?

awokd

Apr 19, 2018, 11:40:20 AM4/19/18
to Oleg Artemiev, aw...@danwin1210.me, qubes...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, April 19, 2018 2:19 pm, Oleg Artemiev wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Apr 2018 11:18 awokd <aw...@danwin1210.me> wrote:
>

> Qubes provides 3 kernels to boot w/ by default. In my case all fail.

I'm wondering if it's one of the Xen updates that's causing your problem
then, not kernel.

>> working one on your next upgrade. I think I saw a way to do that
>> somewhere
>> on this list.
>
> Looks I've to protect a kernel package from removal on next upgrade &
> lock one boot entry for it in grub menu . Is there a way to mark an rpm
> permanent? And since on updates grub menu is overwritten I've to
> reinstall grub manually on each upgrade, right?

That part about locking a boot entry sounds right. Apologies, don't know
much about rpm. If it's a Xen issue, you shouldn't have to mess with grub.