what about usb to jtag interface?

Oleg Artemiev

Feb 9, 2017, 6:54:03 AM2/9/17
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
I've heared that new intel mother boards will have (or already have)
ability to access jtag interface via USB.

JTAG is about debugging hardware via special interface.

Does this mean that USB qube is now useless as a security border on
such a mother board?

--
Bye.Olli.
gpg --search-keys grey_olli , use key w/ fingerprint below:

pixel fairy

Feb 9, 2017, 10:38:05 AM2/9/17
to qubes-users
On Thursday, February 9, 2017 at 3:54:03 AM UTC-8, Oleg Artemiev wrote:
> I've heared that new intel mother boards will have (or already have)
> ability to access jtag interface via USB.

yes, skylake and kabylake processors. heres the ccc talk on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JCUrG7ERIE

> Does this mean that USB qube is now useless as a security border on
> such a mother board?

only if the manufacturer has it enabled. the only vendor who got back to me (and knew what i was talking about) when i asked was system76 to confirm that it is disabled on their lemur series.

puri.sm was aware, but doesnt have any hardware out using those chips.